Worst Cat Food Brands?

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I just sent an online message to Nutro letting them know that I'm going to have to stop feeding my cat Nutro pate and cuts in gravy because of the guar gum, carageenan, menadione complex and xantham gum. I asked for my message to be forwarded to the appropriate people. I know they won't care because I'm just one customer, but I figure it doesn't hurt to try. I hope they'll make the change. There's a message on their site that by the end of the year the cat food will be "clean" like the dog food now is. Anyone know what that means?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck, I hope you have better results than I usually do. When I write to a company about something, they always just say thank you for your suggestion, but never do anything.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nevermind. I looked at Nutro's website again and here's what "clean" means:

"
WHAT EXACTLY DOES CLEAN MEAN TO US?
SIMPLE
We will exclusively source non-GMO ingredients as close to their native form as possible. We will never add artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors. We will not use ingredients like chicken by-product meal, corn, wheat, or soy protein.

PURPOSEFUL
We will produce nutrient-rich food, ensuring every single ingredient serves a precise purpose and making a high-quality protein the foundation of each recipe.

TRUSTWORTHY
We will protect the integrity of the food at every stage of the process, sourcing from trusted farmers and suppliers, preparing only in trusted facilities, and rigorously testing for quality and safety."

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
coconut oil
Okay, coming across this forum on my parading through the site today and using to evaluate the food I'm getting. I bought a pouch from Solid Gold that was a protein and coconut oil.

I'm still learning so why no coconut oil?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Why don't they just make all of their recipes trustworthy?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, but I tried to hide 1/8 tsp of coconut oil in my cats' food once for hairballs, and they could smell it and they refused to eat it!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, coming across this forum on my parading through the site today and using to evaluate the food I'm getting. I bought a pouch from Solid Gold that was a protein and coconut oil.

I'm still learning so why no coconut oil?
There have been several articles i read about Coconut oil being harmful to a cats liver. I know its in a lot of foods noways, but i am still afraid of it. There was a really dry scientific article i read, done by a university, that really turned me against coconut oil for cats. I have lost the article and cannot find it, but i will keep trying. There is thoughts that the the medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil can cause fatty liver in cats. So, as it is fairly easy to avoid it, i do, not worth taking the chance for me.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There have been several articles i read about Coconut oil being harmful to a cats liver. I know its in a lot of foods noways, but i am still afraid of it. There was a really dry scientific article i read, done by a university, that really turned me against coconut oil for cats. I have lost the article and cannot find it, but i will keep trying. There is thoughts that the the medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil can cause fatty liver in cats. So, as it is fairly easy to avoid it, i do, not worth taking the chance for me.
If you find it, and remember to do so, could you please PM or tag me?
We've fed coconut oil in the past. Some of the cats like it, some of them eat around it. The dogs love it and for one that needs a low fat diet, it seems to add calories without causing problems.
Problem is I have a few cats that hate fish oil in any form =/

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you find it, and remember to do so, could you please PM or tag me?
We've fed coconut oil in the past. Some of the cats like it, some of them eat around it. The dogs love it and for one that needs a low fat diet, it seems to add calories without causing problems.
Problem is I have a few cats that hate fish oil in any form =/
i will. you may want to google coconut oil for cats, and dogs. Lots of user post talking about it being good. But enough other post that talk about it as quite harmful to make me afraid of it. Im Leary of most vegetable oils for cats and dogs, but coconut oil and olive oil i totally avoid. Not as much bad that i can find about sunflower oil, but i think animal fats, and fish oils are safer. So thats what i try for.
My cats dont like fish oil supplements, but its in several of the foods i feed. and i do feed some fish, i try to stay with "better brands" when it comes to fish, because of the contaminants and such. Or rather brands of fish that when i feed it i can tell what it is. chunks of fish, not a mush of i dont know what. May not make any difference, but you know...lol....we all have our thing

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i will. you may want to google coconut oil for cats, and dogs. Lots of user post talking about it being good. But enough other post that talk about it as quite harmful to make me afraid of it. Im Leary of most vegetable oils for cats and dogs, but coconut oil and olive oil i totally avoid. Not as much bad that i can find about sunflower oil, but i think animal fats, and fish oils are safer. So thats what i try for.
My cats dont like fish oil supplements, but its in several of the foods i feed. and i do feed some fish, i try to stay with "better brands" when it comes to fish, because of the contaminants and such. Or rather brands of fish that when i feed it i can tell what it is. chunks of fish, not a mush of i dont know what. May not make any difference, but you know...lol....we all have our thing
I don't use normal "vegetable oils" (which are low quality seed oils IMO) in our own cooking. Our pets don't see them!
We've used olive oil for poor coats but not for the Omega 3's, EVOO IIRC does not contain them!