Worsening Chin Acne

Leointuxedo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I adopted my little Leo from petsmart about a week ago and he had a bit of cat acne on his chin. I would clean the area with warm water on a cotton pad and it seemed to be helping.

I inquired the vet about his chin acne and he prescribed Duoxo pads to clean his chin once a day for 2 weeks.

Today is day 3 of cleaning with it and it looks like it's getting worse :(

He eats and drinks from ceramic bowls.
I'm looking to switch his dry food to see if it gets better.

I'm worried that this is worsening by day. The corner of his mouth seems to be a little swollen.

What methods of improving cat acne did you guys have the best luck with? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had 2 cats who suddenly broke out with chin acne at around 6 years of age. It was strange, both at once. They also ate off ceramic plates. I bathed the area with a solution twice a day and then twice a day with warm salt water.

Is he eating the same food he was eating at Petsmart? If not, maybe go back to what he was eating.

Is he on dry food only? I wonder if wet food can potentially cause more of an issue if there's an allergy or intolerance because it would likely touch more of the skin area.

Last but not least, if it isn't improving, head back to the vet. Mine ended up needing antibiotics to help clear it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leointuxedo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I will definitely try to troubleshoot this problem!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my girls broke out in acne after we adopted a new kitten, so I suspect it was stress related. Perhaps the same is true for yours? Just like a pimple on a human face, it has to go through various stages to heal and sometimes looks worse in the process. I would give it at least a couple of weeks.