Worry Or Not?

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The last few weeks our 2 year old cat has not been acting herself. About 3 weeks ago she started sleeping all the time. Still eating and going to the bathroom, but that’s all she gets up for.

Once we noticed she was sleeping all the time we also noticed she was limping a little on one of her front legs. After about a week we took her to the vet and they didn’t think anything was wrong, except maybe a hurt or sprained leg and said that’s why she could be laying down all the time cause it hurt. They gave her a pain shot and sent us home with 5 days of pain meds, and that seemed to help. The limp is gone, but she is still always tired.

She is normally are wild and loud cat getting into everything and meowing for everything, so we definitely notice when she isn’t feeling well. Should we continue to wait it and let the leg fully heal, or should we take her back for some blood work?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I would take her back now for a blood chemistry panel and a complete blood count. Your vet may also want to include a thyroid function test, given that your girl isn't acting like her usual feisty self. I would have expected her sleeping patterns to begin reverting to normal, given that she is feeling better enough that she's no longer limping. The fact that she changed her sleeping patterns so abruptly for such a small limp makes me wonder if there is more going on than just a slight sprain or injury. Cats are masters at hiding pain and I think it might take more than a slight sprain to cause an active 2 year old cat to suddenly start sleeping to the exclusion of everything but eating and using her box.

Please let us know how she does. :sickcat: :cutecat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would take her back now for a blood chemistry panel and a complete blood count. Your vet may also want to include a thyroid function test, given that your girl isn't acting like her usual feisty self. I would have expected her sleeping patterns to begin reverting to normal, given that she is feeling better enough that she's no longer limping. The fact that she changed her sleeping patterns so abruptly for such a small limp makes me wonder if there is more going on than just a slight sprain or injury. Cats are masters at hiding pain and I think it might take more than a slight sprain to cause an active 2 year old cat to suddenly start sleeping to the exclusion of everything but eating and using her box.

Please let us know how she does. :sickcat: :cutecat:
I’ve read it can take up to 6 weeks for the injury to heal, but figured I would’ve seen a little improvement out of her by now. Even though her wildness can be a little much at times I still miss it. I’ll make an appointment and then give an update. How long does it take to get blood work back usually?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always get blood tests results back the next day but it's not uncommon to get them back the same day as the appointment.

I hope your little girl is back to normal soon!
I noticed she was moving around a little more today and not sleeping AS much. Was more grooming.