Worries about new cat

mistyandares

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a rescue cat this week to be a companion to my current cat. They are both neutered and the same age (11 months) and come from households where they had lots of dog and cat friends. He (new cat) is bigger than her. My original cat and I moved into a small apartment late last year which made her lonely because none of her animal friends could come with. My new cat is really friendly and purrs and trills whenever he spots my resident cat or hears her from his room and was known for adopting kittens at his foster home. However she is hissing and growling and sometimes putting her ears back. She was hissing at me if she smelled him in me and at the kennel I brought him home in.
I have them in separate rooms but there have been some accidental meetings when I had to move him from my bathroom into my laundry/closet room because it was too hot and when I move from room to room. I have been using treats at the doors and toys to try to get her used to him. She sits by his door watching and hissing when he tries to play footsies or meows for attention. Her ears are forward and her tail swishes a bit. She also has been weirdly vocal compared to normal and overstimulated easier.
I also have been scent swapping since before I brought him home. I put the cardigan that met him in near her tree and she started avoiding the lower levels until I moved it. I also switched their bedding today. I tried space swapping for a bit today but it is hard with how small my apartment is, and she kept hissing and slinking around the room he was in. My new cat just really wants to be with me and play with his new sibling and I feel bad keeping him locked away. He is such a lovebug and very social when he warms up.
He also does not seem to be eating, I leave food out for him and it is barely touched. I don’t know if it is just stress from a new home or a bigger concern. He is using the litter box though a bit and the food is from his foster home. He does come from a home though where cats are fed on a schedule so I don’t know if that is factoring in.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest giving it time. A week is not enough in this case. My personal experience is I adopted a cat (Austin) to be a companion to resident cat (Cricket) when our other cat (Swanie) died. Cricket and Swanie were good friends. Cricket was not happy we brought in anothe cat. We had Austin in our bedroom during the day (and the master bathroom at night). We got two baby gates and put them in the doorway so they could see each other. Austin was very chill, but Cricket sat outside the room growling and hissing. I guess that went on for at least 2 weeks, maybe longer. We just had to have patience and hope she eventually warmed up to him, and she did. It was gradual, but once she got to know him she was fine. They're friends, now, hang out together sometimes and play together. Cricket is not a cuddler (neither us nor other cats), so they don't cuddle but they do groom each other.

When you think about it, if somebody brought a new person in my house and dumped them, I might growl and hiss for awhile before I got to know them too. It takes time, have patience, you are doing it the right way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mistyandares

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He destroyed a patch of carpet in between the area leading to my landlord’s area of the house and mine when I tried keeping him in his seperate room and scratched up the door. He also is very loud and vocal. He has food, water, a clean litterbox, and toys. we also played and cuddled before bed. My other cat never is this loud or vocal at night. She also does not go after carpet or doors. I’m worried my landlord might throw me out over this damage and noise or up my rent. I had to move him back to bathroom where it was tiled at 3 am so I could try to sleep and prevent further damage. The vocalization at night is interrupting everyone’s sleep and does not stop even when I let him into my bedroom so he is not alone. He comes from a house where he was rarely alone. There was almost always a person with him since the fosterer worked from home and it was a multigenerational home. I work and got to school so I can’t always be home, which is why I got a companion cat. He is a very sweet and loving cat but I’m worried that he might have to go back to his foster home and find a home where he can be adopted with one of his litter mates and there is a person there most of the time.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you do a visual access step with a gate? That is ideally a part of the process, but you do need to rig something up that cant be jumped over. Its totally fine if the gate leads to more hissing and even swatting at the gate. That is what it will be there for, to let it out in a safe way so they get it out of the system. Ideally don't move on from the gate step until hissing and growling stops.

If you do everything right, and no matter how slow you go, its not impossible they will fight when you allow them to intermingle. HOWEVER, at these ages the odds are EXCELLENT that they will eventually be friends. Just be prepared to separate them if they do fight or if your pretty sure they are going too. But some hissing and growling is nothing, and to be expected even if hissing and growling stopped at the gate, and even if you went slow and careful. Its just the nature of the process.

mistyandares

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you do a visual access step with a gate? That is ideally a part of the process, but you do need to rig something up that cant be jumped over. Its totally fine if the gate leads to more hissing and even swatting at the gate. That is what it will be there for, to let it out in a safe way so they get it out of the system. Ideally don't move on from the gate step until hissing and growling stops.

If you do everything right, and no matter how slow you go, its not impossible they will fight when you allow them to intermingle. HOWEVER, at these ages the odds are EXCELLENT that they will eventually be friends. Just be prepared to separate them if they do fight or if your pretty sure they are going too. But some hissing and growling is nothing, and to be expected even if hissing and growling stopped at the gate, and even if you went slow and careful. Its just the nature of the process.
I’ve been letting them see each other through cracks in the door but I have not tried a gate yet. I don’t have access to one but I might be able to try rigging something similar.

mistyandares

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could he have bonded with one of h is litter mates, and is missing them?
I’m wondering about that because he had one litter mate left with him that he loved playing with that cried when he got put in the kennel to come home with me. There was also a kitten that he had been taking care of in his foster home. Unfortunately I only have room for two cats so I could only take him.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can check your local Buy Nothing Group and see if someone has one for you to have/borrow.

Keep scent swapping and providing rewards for the scent swap. Both cats are still decompressing from the change. Give them time.

Catnip can be a good help too and keep some music on so they aren't tense at every little sound. I really like cat calming music, but anything predictable is fine. Better if it's something without too many high-pitched tones (but watch the bass too as the vibration can be scary). I use this playlist for my cats:

Here's the guide as well for intros!
How To Successfully Introduce Cats [The Ultimate Guide] - TheCatSite

mistyandares

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can check your local Buy Nothing Group and see if someone has one for you to have/borrow.

Keep scent swapping and providing rewards for the scent swap. Both cats are still decompressing from the change. Give them time.

Catnip can be a good help too and keep some music on so they aren't tense at every little sound. I really like cat calming music, but anything predictable is fine. Better if it's something without too many high-pitched tones (but watch the bass too as the vibration can be scary). I use this playlist for my cats:

Here's the guide as well for intros!
How To Successfully Introduce Cats [The Ultimate Guide] - TheCatSite
I gave treats after a door crack encounter session where I played some of the recommended sounds and it seemed to help them tolerate each other for longer. My resident cat is still hissing/growling and tried to swat the new comer through the door but there seems to be some progress. I’m also working on clingy behavior training with the newcomer so he can tolerate being in his separate space.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Add site swapping to your scent swapping. They go hand in hand. For a bit of time every day, put your resident cat into your new cat's area, and let your new cat explore the rest of your home. This will put both cats' scents all over the apartment, which will signal to each that they both belong everywhere.

mistyandares

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My landlord texted me saying that they are not sure about the new cat and I may need to move out if I keep him because of the damage he has caused and the constant loud vocalisation. I can’t afford to move or lose my current apartment. I offered to fix the damage and told them he was still adjusting.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about the situation with your landlord, especially as from what you've described, it sounds to me like these two just need some time and careful introductions. My immediate thought is, can you get a pheromone diffuser such as Feliway? These are quite pricey but I've found them invaluable for calming cats down and have always used them for cat-to-cat introductions. It might help with the behaviours your landlord is finding problematic, and may also help your cats be more relaxed as they get to know each other.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if I can think of anything else when it isn't late at night where I live. Sending good vibes and hugs your way. 🤗

mistyandares

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about the situation with your landlord, especially as from what you've described, it sounds to me like these two just need some time and careful introductions. My immediate thought is, can you get a pheromone diffuser such as Feliway? These are quite pricey but I've found them invaluable for calming cats down and have always used them for cat-to-cat introductions. It might help with the behaviours your landlord is finding problematic, and may also help your cats be more relaxed as they get to know each other.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if I can think of anything else when it isn't late at night where I live. Sending good vibes and hugs your way. 🤗
I tried those, thank you for the suggestion though. He caused more damage last night so my landlord said he has to go back or she will evict me and the rescue I got him from said that they thought it would be best for him to come back to them. So unfortunately I will be sending him back to his foster home.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear this and so sad both for you and him. 😢 Hopefully he will be able to find an equally loving forever home. From here, I would suggest giving your kitty lots of love and attention so she is reassured. Let her settle in for a while and see if she is still showing signs of loneliness after a few months. She might even prefer to be a single cat now that she has less space.

However, if she is still lonely, and if your landlord is okay with the idea, I would suggest getting a younger kitten, which she will be less likely to see as competition. Look out for one with a similar personality to her, and one that is quieter and sweeter (for a kitten - they're all crazy to some extent!). If you do go down this route, give the kitten plenty of enrichment. It might also be best to keep the kitten away from the areas your landlord uses until they're older and more settled.

mistyandares

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear this and so sad both for you and him. 😢 Hopefully he will be able to find an equally loving forever home. From here, I would suggest giving your kitty lots of love and attention so she is reassured. Let her settle in for a while and see if she is still showing signs of loneliness after a few months. She might even prefer to be a single cat now that she has less space.

However, if she is still lonely, and if your landlord is okay with the idea, I would suggest getting a younger kitten, which she will be less likely to see as competition. Look out for one with a similar personality to her, and one that is quieter and sweeter (for a kitten - they're all crazy to some extent!). If you do go down this route, give the kitten plenty of enrichment. It might also be best to keep the kitten away from the areas your landlord uses until they're older and more settled.
Thank you for that wonderful advice. I am crushed but it is the best solution for both of us right now. If I ever adopt again I will definitely consider a kitten.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry. I know your heart is broken. But he has a good situation to go back to, and SOMEONE is going to adore him. Meanwhile, take heart, and consider a young kitten. The younger a new cat is, the easier it is for the older cat to adjust. There's something in their basic makeup that prevents them from attacking a kitten under 6 months or so. There may be a few hisses and swats, but that's just teaching the newcomer his/her manners.