Worried That Cat Is Getting Spayed

Slayyrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my 2 year old cat is finally going to get spayed tomorrow morning and I am beyond worried because I have such bad anxiety thinking that what if something goes wrong.
She seems like a healthy cat to me but what if she is allergic to the anesthesia or something. Also, another reason why im worried is because my cat absolutley hates the vet and every time strangers go near her and try to touch her she starts hissing, growling, biting, scratching and screaming. Most times vets can't fully examine her because shes so aggressive. So i fear that they won't be able to properly get her ready ( i hope that makes sense).
She's gonna get spayed at the humane society btw. They assured me that they dont think there will be complications because she is still young and there's risks when the cat is over 8 yrs old. Another thing that im concerned about is that my cat is showing slight symptoms of heat, she isn't in heat but her lower belly feels a bit swollen and she is being more affectionate than usual. I've heard that spaying is more dangerous when they're in heat.
Anyway sorry if it sounds like im rambling here but I'm just really stressing about this. I know she needs to go through this and I hate seeing her in discomfort every time she goes into heat.

Have any of you guys had your cats fixed and how did the surgery go?

ItsMaryann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve had numerous cats spayed through the years and none of them had any complications. The latest one was this past November. She was 4 months old and really bounced back fast. I totally understand your worry but 2 is still young. I’m thinking they’re probably used to handling aggressive, scared cats from time to time and will know what to do. Let us know how it goes.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never had problems with cats being spayed, and between my parents and me, we probably had a dozen done over the years. My most-recent one was much like the poster above. Took her in to the Humane Society at 10 a.m. and by 3 in the afternoon she was back home eating and playing like nothing had happened.

Your kitty will probably come through with flying colors!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Feeby wasn't spayed until she was just over 2yo - and she bounced back very well!

Spaying while in heat might be a little more complicated, but many people have done it this way, accidentally or intentionally.

As far as the issue with her being aggressive, well it is a little too late for what I was going to suggest - and that was to ask the vet ahead of time for a very small sedative just enough to calm her down before the trip starts.

I hope all went/goes well, and please give us an update!! Good luck to you and your gal!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had issues with spaying either. The female cat that I have now didn't used to do well at the vets either. She is in early CKD now which means more vet visits so she is better now. When she was younger it wasn't easy to get a full exam. There was the growling, hissing and she has made more then one vet tech jump back with swatting. She would also drool a river. The vet told me it took about an hour after I dropped her off to quit drooling. She came through her spay and now three dentals fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Slayyrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys, reading this really helped me calm down. And my cat is back home now and everything went well thankfully. She was really dizzy at first but now she's playing a lot and she is so hungry that she's licking her plate.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good to hear! Thanks for letting us know!!! The vet did tell you to keep her from over exerting herself for a few days, right?? If she is playing a lot, just keep an eye on her incision to make sure it is healing properly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Slayyrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: My cat is doing fine now. She isn't as hyper as she was on Friday the day of her surgery. Shes been mostly sleeping luckily and has had her cone on. The only thing is that I see is her incision site has very tiny blood in it but her incision is closed as far as I can tell. Is this normal?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update: My cat is doing fine now. She isn't as hyper as she was on Friday the day of her surgery. Shes been mostly sleeping luckily and has had her cone on. The only thing is that I see is her incision site has very tiny blood in it but her incision is closed as far as I can tell. Is this normal?
It sounds normal. You mean it's little scabby, or there's some liquid present?