Worried that a temporary situation could depress our cats

JES9000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New poster!

tl;dr: Will temporarily separating two female cats who have lived together for a decade depress them? Will it raise issues when we reunite them 9 months later?

Details:

My partner and I have two lovely girl cats who get on reasonably well but don't display "bonded" behaviour. They will both turn 10 this year and are in good health. They don't snuggle or clean each other, and one is clearly dominant. They don't fight or anything though, and they do interact and very occasionally play. They are both very social with us, though in different ways.

We are planning to live apart -- about 6 hours by air -- for 9 months due to a very nice (temporary) professional opportunities for both of us. We are wondering whether to send both cats with one of us, or to split them up.

Normally, we each work from home at least 1 day a week, so the cats have human company during the day 4 days a week. While away we'll both be working regular 5 days a week at our respective offices.

Our ideal would be to each take a cat for the 9 months we're apart. That way we each get cat time. We were once away from them for 4 months for work and were kind of bereft. Of course the cats were fine and happy to see us when we got home.

But will they get lonely if we each take one? Our worry is a human will be less present, and there will be only one human and no other cat, and that this might make each of them lonely or bored? Would the cats be better off together so they are less lonely, or does that not matter since they aren't bonded?

I'd love to hear from people with relevant experience, or with references to the science on this, as we don't really know. TIA!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome, and congrats on the great opportunities!

I think they'll be fine whichever option you choose. There are ways to help them if they do in fact show some indications of issues. Cat Music is surprisingly effective, there's RelaxMyCat, MusicForCats, classical harp music, harp music written for cats, and additionally there's music with purrs in it and also videos with just purring.

For the reunion, there's this if needed;
either with real vanilla (rather than synthetic) or raw coconut (which still has fragrance) ;

From member valanhb;
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", then he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.
This trick works when introducing cats into the household as well, or during a reintroduction after a redirected aggression event.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, welcome to TCS! :wave3: Second, I'm glad you joined the site and I'm sure you will get different responses to your question.
IMHO, not relying on science but rather from personal experience of many years living with cats I'd say to keep the cats together. Whichever cat goes with your partner may have a harder time adjusting to a new home and only one of you being there. Even though the cats are not affectionate with one another they will know something has changed in their daily routine. But it's honestly up to your partner and you since you both know them best. Perhaps you can make a list of pros and cons to help you make a better decision. Either way I thought I would suggest this TCS Article with some helpful advice should one of the cats move with your partner:
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment or House - TheCatSite

Best of luck and please keep us updated.:crossfingers:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another vote from me to keep them together. That way they don't have to go through reintroduction and one cat might feel comfortable in new territory... messy.

jaye1949

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, welcome, and congrats on the great opportunities!

I think they'll be fine whichever option you choose. There are ways to help them if they do in fact show some indications of issues. Cat Music is surprisingly effective, there's RelaxMyCat, MusicForCats, classical harp music, harp music written for cats, and additionally there's music with purrs in it and also videos with just purring.

For the reunion, there's this if needed;
either with real vanilla (rather than synthetic) or raw coconut (which still has fragrance) ;

From member valanhb;
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", then he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.
This trick works when introducing cats into the household as well, or during a reintroduction after a redirected aggression event.

jaye1949

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wonder if the vanilla extract idea would also work for people my cat growls at?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I would come home from school and bring Nobel with me (6 months apart) he was always fine with the other animals except some tensions. There was some hissing etc but he never even had a FLUTD flare up from it. But, being separated from the person he was most bonded to (me) would cause FLUTD flare ups so that tells me, Nobel was more stressed to be separated from me than any other situation he was put in.

Keep the cats each with the person they are most bonded with.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
For cats, routine is everything. Even if they don’t like the other cat, it is part of that routine. They would do best at home together where everything is familiar, especially at their age.