Worried Sick That I May Be Killing My Cats

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been using canned Friskies and dry Purina ONE for a while now, after trying probably every single brand out there. Maybe the ingredients aren't the best but I have the best results with them. Maybe Purina is magic or something, lol.
I sometimes mix in others but my group still prefers the Walmart Gourmet dry food. I tried the Kibble and Bits for a while but they didn't do as well on it. I can tell the difference just by picking the cats up.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, it's the safest herbicide out there. There are many that are MUCH nastier.[/QUOTE]

What I really don't like about it is that they are not using it (Roundup) as weed killer in this new application. Spraying the fields with it to get get rid of weeds and even do no till farming is fine but spraying it on the finished crop just a week or 2 before harvesting almost guarantees that it is going to be in the yield. It's not the use that the stuff was developed for.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which means Monsanto won't be responsible from any illness from this new spraying to kill the crops before harvest, but the farmers will be. That will finish the few farmers we have left.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which means Monsanto won't be responsible from any illness from this new spraying to kill the crops before harvest, but the farmers will be. That will finish the few farmers we have left.
From what I can find, they've been doing it since the '80s (but are doing it MORE now, because climate change has made it wetter). So probably Monsanto and the farmers have figured something out.

I'm not saying it's good, but just try to get farmers to give up their herbicides. And "probable carcinogen" is better than that stuff they use in India that kills you dead if you don't wash your food well enough (paraquat? I think).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Now this is just my opinion - but in your case with your cat being so young it seems to me that it would be more likely to be genetic? If he were older when he died I think lifestyle factors such as diet would seem more likely to me. I think for a food to cause death in 3 years it would have to have a serious imbalance of nutrients or toxic ingredient (which I don't think those articles are alleging). I read an article that suggested the foods listed were based upon a small sample of several hundred animals. There could be confounding variables and it is not definitive that any one particular food is harmful. (At least that was what I was getting from the information).

I would not stress out about it but consider all of the available evidence and read as much as you can on the subject. Just try to pick the best food you can with the knowledge you have. I initially fed my cats Blue but they weren't able to tolerate it so now I feed them Purina One. It seems to work the best for them....
Yes, the vet did say that he could have been born with it, but there is really no way to be sure. Now with my other cat having the occasional coughing, it does worry me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am still feeding the same grain-free food, but I did buy a small 2 pound bag of this food to see if they like it, and if maybe they could switch over to it eventually. It is a big maybe! I really don't want to feed them brown rice and oatmeal, but the food does not have potatoes. It does still have pea ingredients, but they are the sixth and seventh ingredients, so maybe it doesn't have very much.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I've read, it's not so much that dogs and cats "need" grain, it's just that they don't need the protein percentage of their food jacked up with inexpensive fillers like legumes. I wish it was re phrased from "grain free and heart disease" to "high legume and heart disease."
I don't think taurine is an essential addition to dog foods, but it is for cat foods, and I think a lot of this has to do with taurine, so I would watch for info, but not panic just yet.
What type wet do u feed ure cat???