Worried owner

Joanne Daniels

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has two scabs between her butthole they look like two little black holes and I'm worried about what they are does anybody have some answers for me I don't have the money to take her to the vet and I don't know what to do

IronCladLou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These could just be the openings of her anal scent glands. They are on each side of her anus. Is she rubbing her butt on the floor? Is there any visible soreness or blood or any signs of discomfort? You might just take her to a vets office and ask them to have a tech look at it to see if I am correct in this assumption.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would agree that it is probably her anal glands. Using the face of a clock as illustration, with her anus being the center, the glands are located approximately at 4-5 AM/PM and 7-8 AM/PM. They can be visible even when not filling up, but if this is the first time you've noticed them, they may be starting to do so. If she is demonstrating any signs as mentioned above, you might ask your vet's office if you can bring her in as a 'walk-in' so a tech can take a look. If they need manually expressed, most techs can do that - some will charge for it, others don't. Just call and ask.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a cat rescue in your area (including a Facebook group), you can reach out for a mentor. Rescuers often have their own personal cats who have various issues or know someone who does; they also tend to be "in the know" about resources to help get professional care.