Worried my cat may get lonely now that she's alone

AnnaLeyah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So recently I lost my kitty and I'm worried my other kitty might get lonely. For about 12 1/2 years now she's always had her two brothers. One died last year but she was already separated from him since we couldn't take him with us when he moved, he stayed with my younger brother and was very happy there. The other brother was euthanized just last week. She's caught on that he's gone. What are some things that I can do to make sure she stays happy and not so lonely? 

She's a very independent cat but that doesn't change the fact that she can still get lonely. She bores quite easily so I keep her occupied as much as possible. My mom has been letting her sleep with her which wasn't allowed before since the siblings liked to play on our beds at night. I just want to make sure she's happy! 

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of both brothers. Our kitties sure do grieve when they lose a close companion. Support her and allow her to support you. It will take some time. She may eventually embrace her new top status. If that does not happen, maybe a new companion may help. Intros can be tricky. We should wait for some advice about that from someone else here who knows more. Give her plenty of attention and introduce new toys, activities and keep up with the usual routines. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may or may not get lonely, but try not to rush into anything.  She needs time to grieve too, as do you,  and as mentioned above, may discover she likes being the "top cat".  Plus after all this time, she might not like any cat you bring into the house.  Cats are very strange that way. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AnnaLeyah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think she may embrace being the top cat. We don't want to bring in another kitty into her life whatsoever. She's never been one to allow other animals into the house. We adopted her and her brothers at the same time when they were kittens so it was much different back then. Now it's a whole other situation.