worried my cat is showing the behavioral signs of death :(

darceykelly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've had my cat Salem for around 9 years now and before we had him he was abandoned at around 4 or 5 years old. He's always been a really affectionate cat but recently (past 3 weeks) he's stopped coming inside even to eat, won't sleep inside even though its freezing and raining outside constantly and is acting really terrified. When we do finally get him to come in, he's very timid as if he doesn't remember who we are. I hadn't really thought much of it, but he's lost a bit of weight since being outside so often, and when he was in yesterday, I noticed that his breathing was really labored and there's discharge coming from one of his eyes.

The problem is, we can't get him inside long enough to even take him to a vet!

Do you think I have anything to be concerned of or am I overreacting? This is only my first cat so I'm still really inexperienced. 

Please help because i'm really worried about him and I care about him so much :(.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really think he needs to go to a vet.  It sounds like he is ill but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is dying.  I know it sounds like it won't be easy but he really needs to go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darceykelly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try to take him asap to a vet then, I guess I was reluctant before because I just don't want to hear any bad news. The discharge is green and his eyes aren't swollen but the pupils are constantly really huge as if he's terrified :/

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does sound like he has a uri and needs antibiotics.

Not that you will be able to give them to him twice a day, but the vet can give him an antibiotic shot that will last for 2 weeks to allow him to get well.

You obviously love him, so please, do whatever has to be done to get him to the vet asap.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, he sounds like he has an infection and needs to get to a vet soon, esp given the weather.  Is there any way you can lure him up to the house with food so you could catch him?  Otherwise maybe look for some advice on how to rescue cats in the Ferals and Rescue forum to get him in to a carrier so you can get him to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darceykelly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just updating those of you who helped me :)

We managed to make him stay quite docile and took him to a vet a few hours ago. She said she's pretty sure of a URI infection but is concerned about some other problems so keeping him in over night.

Hopefully it will all be just a precaution 

Thank you all :) 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What a relief for you that you managed to get him to the vet.  I'm sorry they felt it necessary to keep him in but sending good vibes he is in the best place and they will get him better while he's there. 

fgslegacy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately we (parents) don't think to read up on signs and prevention until our "children" get sick. There are some excellent holistic cat books at the library and online that help you to feed and care for your pet to minimize health problems. I would recommend this going forward.
If its a UTI or another health issue, there are many things you can do to prevent a reoccurrence. We will keep him in our prayers and look forward to hearing all is well once again.
Namaste

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hope he's a good boy at the vet's and they can figure out what's going on with him.  Good job getting him to the vet.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You began the thread by asking, if he is dying, as shown by his regression (being shy again) and by getting some sick too.

I think it is the other way around: because he got sick with a rather heavy infection, surely feverish, he got seemingly into regression, because he become bewildered and desoriented being sick and feverish.

True, he is rather old, but as yet, it is not the age who is taking him. Its the infection, I think.

Lets hope the vets will help and heal him.  They apparently took it seriously, no routinely "take these two pills Tylenole / Aspirine, and come back tomorrow if itsnt better".

*vibes!*