Worried I’m Not Doing Enough For Our Orphan

Efb1024

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
3D765441-00D9-4AF7-ACE0-D5BE28136E93.jpeg
The back story:

We are fostering a mama with six 7 week old kittens. All healthy and thriving. Someone brought in a single newborn orphaned kitten to the local shelter and they couldn’t find a nursing mother for him so we ended up with him.

The current situation:

Mama cat will nurse the little guy as long as we place him by her. However, she doesn’t respond to his cries or stimulate him, so we’re having to fill in a lot for mama cat duties. My concern is that he’s not eating enough because she’ll only tolerate it for 15-20 minutes at time. I’ve never been in a situation where I’ve had to really step in so don’t know how long they have to nurse to get adequate nutrition. He is growing and he’s strong and spunky. (On 6/26 he weighed 4 ounces and today he weighs 5.75 ounces.) I just don’t know if I should be supplementing with FMR or not. I’m seriously so stressed out that he is going to fade because I miss something!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its right weigh gives big help. Easier to see in grammes.

He adds ok but not more. So some sipplementing is useful yes.
I would suggest goats milk bit KMR in powder is good too.@efb1024

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like he is doing well overall!

Continue with helping him drink from mom as you have been doing.

Supplementing in between nursing is an excellent idea. Start with 1-2mLs and see how well he takes it. If he wants more, give it.

Use a tiny syringe and feed tummy down, head up, slowly so he does not aspirate milk into his lungs.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding

Are his eyes open yet?

Thank you for taking care of this baby!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Efb1024

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like he is doing well overall!

Continue with helping him drink from mom as you have been doing.

Supplementing in between nursing is an excellent idea. Start with 1-2mLs and see how well he takes it. If he wants more, give it.

Use a tiny syringe and feed tummy down, head up, slowly so he does not aspirate milk into his lungs.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding

Are his eyes open yet?

Thank you for taking care of this baby!
Yes, his eyes opened completely on Sunday, 7/1.

I tried syringe feeding this morning after he nursed with mom for about 10 minutes and he did really well! Willingly took 6 mL then went right back to sleep

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How wonderful! :)

This tells me he is not getting enough from mom, so continue supplementing him every 2-3 hours around the clock.

This should help him to thrive!