Worried about URI

oklawhit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am a very anxious cat mom who could do with some reassurance. My 100% indoor kitties have somehow been passing around a kitty cold. Most of them have just had some occasional sneezing, but one of my boys got pretty sick for a few days with a swollen, red eye and a lot of discharge. On the day of his vet appointment, he got better and has been fine ever since.

On Sunday morning, I woke up to find that one of my girls, Beth, had a hoarse meow and was sneezing, seemingly out of no where - she had been 100% fine when I went to bed. She has been considerably more congested and has occasional bouts of gagging through the course of this illness. She has continued to eat and drink, just not as much as normal, and has been sleeping more than usual also. I gave it four days to see if it would clear up like her brother's did, but no such luck so she went to the vet yesterday (Thursday) morning and was diagnosed with a respiratory infection with a considerable post nasal drip. Her vet prescribed her doxycycline and some nasal drops, as well as an antihistamine that will hopefully arrive today. If she doesn't improve in a week, she is supposed to go back for a steroid shot.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and has a good outcome to share? I know I can't expect the medicine to work instantly, but I am extremely stressed out and just want her to be back to her usual self. I have extremely high anxiety and I am traumatized by losing two of my cats already this year, one to probable cancer and the other to a rare medical condition that I have not been able to make peace with. I think these events have me especially on edge when it comes to my babies, I broke down in the vet's office yesterday. I know URIs are fairly common and rarely fatal, but I am desperate for some reassurance until she starts showing significant improvement. I just can't lose Beth, too.

Thank you so much for your help.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat Lily had colds frequently. Having her be in the room while I showered helped as the humidity helped break things up.

The medication takes a few days to work and I usually would give her kitten food like Mother and Babycat in the meantime as it's easy to digest. I add extra water for fluids.

She will need all the extra rest.

There is actually a study to show that giving them a box with some bedding can help facilitate quicker healing even within a shelter setting. So if you don't already have some boxes or cubes around for her, I recommend making some cozy spots!

Hope she feels better soon.

savannahjansson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand how stressful it can be when your furry friends fall ill. You're doing a great job by getting Beth to the vet promptly. Just follow their guidance closely, keep her comfy, ensure she eats, and stays hydrated. URI recoveries can take time, so be patient and monitor her progress. Keep her stress levels low and spend quality time with her for reassurance. You're a caring cat parent, and Beth is lucky to have you.
Wishing her a speedy recovery! 😺🐾

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand the stress and concern of having a sick kitty. I hope your baby feels better very soon.
I adopted a sick kitty (I wasn’t told she was sickly but it’s ok I love her so very much). Anyhow, Tessa gets URI allllll the time. In fact she uses an inhaler and gets semi-regular steroid shots.
In my experience the medications do take a day or two, sometimes three.
I don’t think Beth is anywhere near as sick as Tessa. I was just giving you something to compare it to, and my point is that Tessa bounces back after a couple days, even though her issues are chronic.

I agree with everything A Alldara said above, and I hope your sweet Beth feels better ASAP! Hugs!!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can understand feeling "triggered" by a sick baby after losing two somewhat recently. I've lost 3 babies in the past few years and it is hard for sure. Just remember the lessons your cats give you... You take life as it comes. Remember to take care of yourself to help calm your nerves. As you mentioned, you took your baby to the vet and are giving her medications. You are doing what you can to support her and help her get better. You are loving her. That's the most any living thing could ask for! 🤗

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Several years ago I rescued a kitten with a very clear URI. She was taken to the vet, given medication, and isolated outside for two weeks in a safe enclosure. The vet declared her cured at the end of that time and I brought her in the house, only to have the entire rest of the house infected. TBH, I probably carried in some of the URI on my clothes or body, despite changing outside before I reentered the house. The vet felt so sorry for me that he prescribed enough medication for the entire house, including cats who had not been in for a checkup recently. Everyone recovered, but it was quite dramatic when everyone had runny eyes and noses.