Worried About Traveling With Cats For 15 Hours By Train

kozeta.leka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I am planning to go from Vienna to Amsterdam with my cats (both siamese) and getting the train seems like the most affordable option.
But I am worried about my cats' behavior and well being. I may have to change 2-3 trains and also I don't know if it's good for them to be inside a carrier for 15 hours.
What if they need to eat or urinate? Will they be hungry? I am so worried. Please helpppp!
Kozeta

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long until your trip? Ideally I would start harness training them and if possible start training them to walk by your local train station. That way between train rides they can take quick bathroom breaks.

I would also sedate them (ask your vet.) Has for the trip, I would only give dry food before and water (or broth for cats) during those train transfers. If you can I would take their food away 2 hours before the trip..... but if they need food with their sedative pill then just give them dry food. Taking the food helps my kittens not get sick/queasy during car rides (escially the girl that vomits in the car or drools.)

I would also take them on a short train ride now. Just to the next city, to see how they do. Also to help get them used to it.

I would get them used to their crate now. Put the crate/crates out now in your livingroom. Put a tshirt you wore in the crate, spray it with feliway, leave it open 24/7 & try to entice them in with treats, play &/or catnip.

Lastly if you can for your longest train ride, can you book a sleeper cabin? That way your cats can stretch out, uses disposable litter box, explore & maybe play? If you can do this I would pack them some dry food/water & a towel or lap blanket you put on your bed. Put the blanket over you when you sit on the couch now. The goal is to get their/your scent on it (if you can 2-4 weeks before the trip) then pull the blanket out in your sleeper car so they have a piece of home with them.

I assume you are moving? If so I have some weird advice for you. *If you can don't wash your bedding 2 weeks before you move (assuming they sleep with you) then put all your bedding in anew/clean garbage bag or box. Seal it up. * Pack all their toys/beds/card board scratchers and food in a large plastic tub/bin with a lid (may be 2 tubs.) * This is gross but works. Take their litter and scoop it (better if they already use scoopable litter) then put the litter from their box into a large ziplock bag. (Ok I put the litter bag into another litter bag!) then with their now empty litter box, put it in a garbage bag and tie it.... then put the litter box and litter bag in a box that you mark on the outside. * Pack all the cat trees, cat toy bins/tipper ware box, cat furniture, litter box, litter & your bedding last. Then unpack all that stuff first in your bedroom. That way you can put your cats in your bedroom while you move everything else in. Plus it gives them a home base. Cats identify things largely by smell. So having a room with all the things that smell like them will calm them. It works! Also the litter box thing helps avoid litter box issues later.

Good luck on your trip/move!
:goodluck:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's a TCS article on Traveling With Cats. It doesn't mention train travel, but might have something helpful in it.

Also, maybe check with your vet for their advice/suggestions.

Good luck with the trip.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mean to sound insensitive to a cat's plight, but terror is only sustainable for so long. Eventually, cats calm down during trips, and eventually they even sleep. Taking a cat on a long trip doesn't make you a bad owner; plenty of people take a cat on long moves without much if any prep. The real issue is that if you don't do some advance prep, your cat may poop in the carrier out of fear, and how the heck would you deal with that on a train? So it is definitely worthwhile to review the above advice & links and come up with a plan.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Normally I'm on the same page with danteshuman danteshuman but I have to disagree somewhat: Yes, see about getting a mild sedative; But, from when you leave your home until you reach your destination, never open the carrier. Scared cats are particularly slippery. In fact, I would zip-tie the door closed (bring extra zip ties and clippers in case you have to open it for customs and try to insist on a closed room to do so).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't mean to sound insensitive to a cat's plight, but terror is only sustainable for so long. Eventually, cats calm down during trips, and eventually they even sleep.
That's actually addressed in the TCS article: 36 Awesome Tips For Road Tripping With Your Cat

Here's the excerpt:
"Many cats take up to an hour to relax, so just because your cat tends to howl on 20-minute long trips to the vet, doesn't necessarily mean she'll be like that for 20 hours on a road trip."