Worried About My Kitty

fairyriot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we're a poor family of two, plus her, so from the start - we can't afford anything too expensive for food.
She woke me up earlier than normal (she usually wakes me up if it's too late in the day) and soon after I got up for breakfast she coughed up a hairball - a regular occurrence that happens every few weeks - I figure it's normal since she sheds a lot (growing older and change of seasons), but I figure I'd mention it.
Then she went to the catbox and I don't think she quite made it in time, but she pooped just outside of it instead of in it. I figure it wasnt anything wrong with the catbox because after I cleaned her and everything else up, she climbed back in and peed as normal.
So, I assume something's wrong with her digestive system, but I'm not sure! What confuses me is that her lower back area has been pretty sensitive and she licks at it often, and just after all of this, she seems very irritated and distracted.
I know she needs change of food (she's recently been fed Meow Mix and 9 Lives, which are very cheap brands and not good for kitty!) and I know she needs more playtime (I'm disabled so I cant get up to play much) but I'm poor with managing things. Could anyone help??

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that dry food or canned food? I would make sure she gets at least 3oz of canned food per day along with her dry food. Maybe you could also pick up some hairball treats to give her 2 or 3 times a week?

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes, your cat needs canned food too. dry meow mix is not good. there are inexpensive wet foods.

as for her health problems, can you find a humane society where they have good prices and discounts for those on disability? they often have very good vets there. She needs to see a dr. take her in or have someone take her in for you. Call the humane society and tell them you are unable to get around but your cat is in distress , they will help you if you stay on top of it and insist.

good luck

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dry food just isn't good for kitties. How old is your cat? Some individuals keep the cost lower by using dry and wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fairyriot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

fairyriot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is that dry food or canned food? I would make sure she gets at least 3oz of canned food per day along with her dry food. Maybe you could also pick up some hairball treats to give her 2 or 3 times a week?
She eats dry MeowMix and for wet food we buy Friskies.
But I'll definitely try for a trip to Petsmart! They're the only ones who sell special treats nearby.

fairyriot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes, your cat needs canned food too. dry meow mix is not good. there are inexpensive wet foods.

as for her health problems, can you find a humane society where they have good prices and discounts for those on disability? they often have very good vets there. She needs to see a dr. take her in or have someone take her in for you. Call the humane society and tell them you are unable to get around but your cat is in distress , they will help you if you stay on top of it and insist.

good luck
Yes this is a very good suggestion. I feel it may be urgent to take her to the vet, one way or another - so I'll definitely work towards getting her a check-up.
Do you or anyone else here know of dry and wet food brands I could try, besides iffy ones like MeowMix? I know they're not good, but I have no idea what to look for that would be better. Thank you in advance!

fairyriot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dry food just isn't good for kitties. How old is your cat? Some individuals keep the cost lower by using dry and wet food.
My kitty is about 2 years old, I think? I got her in mid-2015 as a newborn.
Should I switch to wet food and healthy treats only?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies canned food is okay, I feed that to my cats. I don't think my cats did well on Meow Mix dry though, I remember they threw up the orange food coloring a lot. I would go with Purina Cat Chow Complete in the blue bag for grocery store brands. If you want something fancier, other members will be able to give you advice, but my cats won't eat the more expensive brands.

yasmincittaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always recommend Wellnes cat food. I've been feeding my two year old their dry food for years, I tried getting her to eat their wet food but she just doesn't like wet food in general. However my younger cat looks the wet food, I usually buy the canned ones but they came out with new ones in pouches that I like a lot better because the texture and it looks like real meat. The cans cost about 1.80 each but the pouches are like 1.00. You can also buy a 12 pack of pouches for 13 dollars online and a 24 pack of cans for 27 dollars. (at least on Petco.com) The dry food usually is 13 dollars for 2 pounds and 20 for 5 pounds and I believe they have one more for 27 that might be 10 pounds or soo (i'm not sure). I love this brand and find it not as expensive as other natural foods, but I have also heard that Blue Buffalo and Hills Science Food Diet is good. I hope this feels!