Worried About My Kittens

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I've got two kittens, named Salt and Pepper. They're about 5 months old now.
When we first got them, they were sneezing quite a lot. Sometimes Salt would even have times where he would sneeze like five times in a row, which were a little frightening. Salt was also breathing about double the speed he should have been. My parents didn't agree with taking them to the vet—they felt that they were already spending a lot of money on the cats, and they also didn't believe that the kittens were really in too bad a way. They were still eating and had a string appetite, were drinking, and playing well. Basically acting totally normal. I argued about it quite a bit, but they put their foot down and my mom even researched it and said that most people say that it should eventually pass; probably just a cold.
Fast forward to now, about a month later. The sneezing has all but stopped—I'll maybe hear a very occasional sneeze but not often. Salt's breathing is just about right now. They never did fully get rid of their nasal discharge issue though (more on that later). Last week we went to a low-cost vaccination clinic and got them a vaccination for upper respiratory diseases (can't think of what the vaccine was called now). Ever since then, I think Pepper is getting the respiratory issue a little worse. Salt seems almost entirely okay, with very little nasal discharge, although he was the worst right in the beginning (I'm worried this will make an even stronger argument anti-vet wise). But Pepper seems a tiny bit more sleepy (not a whole lot, but a little), and his breathing is a little funky. Sometimes, when he's sleeping, his stomach will rise with a breath and then there's a bit of a delay until his chest actually rises (I'm not sure if that's normal or not?). A couple days after the vaccine, he seemed to cough a couple times one evening and coughed up about two quarter's size worth of what looked like mucus or the thick, sticky snot that you get when you've got a cold. He hasn't done that again. Sometimes, especially in the past day or so, I've been able to hear him breath. He sort of whistles a but while he breathes, or just makes more normal breathing noises but they're still louder than normal.
A week or so ago, I was doing some research on respiratory issues in cats and read something about the color of the nasal discharge being normally either clear or slightly yellow. Now all this time, my kittens had been having brownish discharge and I just kind of assumed that was the normal color (I know, I'm probably an idiot for assuming that). Now I read that that means that they're having a really bad respiratory issue or something.
They're still active and playful, and have a great appetite and drink well, and their poos are all solid too. They're acting entirely normal.
So I'm not sure what to do, or even if this is actually serious or if I'm just overreacting. It's weird because the nasal discharge is basically the only constant symptom, and I can't really find info on that online. Almost everything has it in combination with eye issues, or open-mouth panting, or something. I don't want anything to happen to my kittens, but I've also got no idea how to convince my mother that they need a vet. I'm 18 and I'm pretty close to getting my license, but I can't drive yet and I'm not 100% sure I've got enough money for a vet trip with them both. How much does the average vet trip for two cats cost, assuming I have to be prescribed antibiotics or something? I would hate to go against what my parents want like that though, and of course I won't have my license for quite a while though. So either I need a home remedy, or I need a way to convince my parents that they're dying, which I doubt will work if they're still eating, playing, and growing. Or I need to know if it's not serious at all and I should just wait it out.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Look online to see if there is a low cost clinic in your area. I think the kittens should go to the vet as soon as possible. Sorry, I can't give an idea of cost, I am in Europe.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before you do anything terribly expensive, first try to get a picture of the drippy nose, and any mucous that is visible and E-mail it to the clinic and see if they will help you that way. Make sure you explain you you don't have any money and describe all their breathing habits, difficulties, etc. If not, try another. Nasal discharge is pretty 'normal' if it is clear, that indicates a virus or your kittens could have allergies. If it gets yellow, green, and thick, then it is bacterial and you will need an antibiotic. There is a virus called herpes (NOT spreadable to humans and NOT like ours) that causes all these symptoms too, so you might want to get on Amazon (or a pet store, or a clinic) and get lysine, which stops the replication of the virus. I get it with an immune builder too. As long as they are eating that is good, make sure they get plenty of water. When you can afford it and it is still going on (they might outgrow it) take the worst kitten to a vet, which is definitely your best course of action. Good luck and keep us posted!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are your kittens spayed and neutered yet?

Where did you get your kittens? If they were from a shelter, they might be able to help with follow up vet care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!
S Summercats Thanks. Yeah, we actually got them from a low-cost spay/neuter clinic where they give low-price vaccines and all, but unfortunately I can't seem to find any actual vet clinic situation that is low-price. There is one place that looks promising, as the reviews all love it and says that it's fairly low price, as there is only one licensed vet there and it's not the most comfy place but very nice for the animals. So... I might be able to afford it. Hm.

di and bob di and bob That's a really good idea. I might just try that. What about those online "ask a vet" cites? Might try one of those. And unfortunately, their nasal discharge is not clear or even yellows. Here are some photos of Pepper:
IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

Just to give you some idea of what's going on and how he looks. Hardly any of that nose darkness is caused just by shadow. Do his eyes seem okay to you? I can't quite decide if they're too runny or not. As you can see here, he's still very snugly and seems happy. But then I know cats are good at hiding illnesses. Lysine? I'll look into getting it. I've also heard a little about Amoxicillin... is that any good? Anyway, thank you so much... I'll try to do all that.

talkingpeanut talkingpeanut Yes, they are both neutered—they were neutered before we got them, when they were staying at the spay/neuter clinic we got them at. I think they only do vaccinations (once a month) and flea/tick treatment and deworming (besides spaying and neutering, obviously). They're not a fully operating vet, really.

We might have to get Pepper remicrichipped because his microchip isn't being found by our microchip cat flap. So we'll probably go to the tractor supply store today to get that done. Do you think I could maybe ask about it then? I'm guessing they won't be average to give me anything to treat them there, but maybe it's worth a shot?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking at the pictures they look pretty normal, it's not terrible any way, more like feral kittens that are around a lot of dust or dirt. So it could be allergies. I hope they outgrow it, they may. Definitely start them on L-Lysine, it couldn't hurt, it is a supplement not a prescription so can be bought on Amazon or other pet sites. I had a kitten once that had what yours had, but he was MUCH worse, he had a black discharge that covered his whole upper lip and looked like a moustache. My husband said he looked like a Dutchman in those old portraits, so we named him Dutch. He almost died because he stopped eating. He is fine now, fat and sassy, but we had to clean his nose when he got too weak to run and start him on antibiotics. If your kittens get any worse, they will need Amoxicillin, or some other antibiotic, because a discharge that color is most likely bacterial, but once more a vet would be needed to diagnose. Those farm stores usually have pretty knowledgable people there, so I would ask, they have seen a lot. Praying they both get better!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about those online "ask a vet" cites? Might try one of those.

I wouldn't trust those online ask a vet type sites. You have absolutely no idea if it really is a licensed vet on the other end answering your questions. Anyone can fake credentials online and copy and paste info from other web sites to answer a question.

I know Banfield, the hospital at Petsmart stores, has a free first exam. It's just a bare basic exam, though, where the vet listens to the heart and lungs and stuff. If your cat needs medicine or testing, those are additional costs.

Look into low cost vet clinics. Not a low cost spay / nueter clinic but one that does a full exam for a low cost. I found these in TN:

Home - PetWellClinic
Clinic (doesn't look like they offer exams but it's worth calling to ask anyways)
Pet Wellness | Pet Community Center

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looking at the pictures they look pretty normal, it's not terrible any way, more like feral kittens that are around a lot of dust or dirt. So it could be allergies. I hope they outgrow it, they may. Definitely start them on L-Lysine, it couldn't hurt, it is a supplement not a prescription so can be bought on Amazon or other pet sites. I had a kitten once that had what yours had, but he was MUCH worse, he had a black discharge that covered his whole upper lip and looked like a moustache. My husband said he looked like a Dutchman in those old portraits, so we named him Dutch. He almost died because he stopped eating. He is fine now, fat and sassy, but we had to clean his nose when he got too weak to run and start him on antibiotics. If your kittens get any worse, they will need Amoxicillin, or some other antibiotic, because a discharge that color is most likely bacterial, but once more a vet would be needed to diagnose. Those farm stores usually have pretty knowledgable people there, so I would ask, they have seen a lot. Praying they both get better!
Really? Thank goodness, I feel a great sense of relief in knowing that it's at least not too dangerous for them. It would be great if they would outgrow it. How could I treat allergies? Kind of funny if it was that; I'm allergic to them so it makes sense that they'd be allergic to something too! Great, I'll definitely see about getting that. Should I get the powder form or the treat form? I'm thinking the powder might be better? Seems like it would be more powerful/less diluted by flavorings. Thanks for sharing that story! Alright, well the good news is that if they got it to the point that Dutch did (I love how there's a story behind his name, lol), I think my parents would stop denying that they've got an issue. Thank you so much!!

I wouldn't trust those online ask a vet type sites. You have absolutely no idea if it really is a licensed vet on the other end answering your questions. Anyone can fake credentials online and copy and paste info from other web sites to answer a question.

I know Banfield, the hospital at Petsmart stores, has a free first exam. It's just a bare basic exam, though, where the vet listens to the heart and lungs and stuff. If your cat needs medicine or testing, those are additional costs.

Look into low cost vet clinics. Not a low cost spay / nueter clinic but one that does a full exam for a low cost. I found these in TN:

Home - PetWellClinic
Clinic (doesn't look like they offer exams but it's worth calling to ask anyways)
Pet Wellness | Pet Community Center
Okay, I'll steer clear of those cites then. That's a good thought.

Oh, really? The nearest petsmart is half an hour away but maybe I could get there on my way to college on a short day. Or, wait, that wouldn't work because then I'd have cats at the college, even if only for an hour or so, haha. But if they get worse, I'll definitely have a look at that. I can deal with paying for medicine, I think. I've got an okay amount of money saved from graduation gifts.
Ooh, thank you so much for finding those for me!! I'll go have a look at them now.

I'm starting to feel a little more hopeful :)