Worried About My Kd Kitty

andrellio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

My cat was diagnosed a couple years ago with kidney disease. We've been lucky to catch it early and keep her numbers stable through natural methods (Hills KD diet and acupuncture) but she's taken a turn I don't know how to handle.

My beautiful, 17 year old, medium haired, black "mutt cat", Nadia, has always been small. Her happy weight is 6.5 lbs, with her highest being 6.8 and her lowest, but still healthy, weight being 6.0. In the past 2-3 months, she's dropped down to 5.1 lbs.

I took her to the vet a month ago rather panicked, thinking she had parasites or a hyperactive thyroid- ANYTHING than would explain such rapid and dramatic weight loss. She tested negative for parasites and her T4 is 1.6.

The vet told me this is simply a symptom of KD, and happens with an old cat. They told me "older cats lose their appetite, this is to be expected". I just can't agree- it feels like we're missing something.

She's wanting to eat alllll the time. As in, every 1-2 hours. She's always been a drinker and she's still drinking. She's not acting "old" or in pain. She still runs and jumps from our counter to the top of the fridge- which is really far with our kitchen set-up. If anything, I'd label her as more active and friendly than usual. Nothing is indicating to me she's simply old- I think something isn't right.

The vet did talk me into finally giving her subcutaneous fluids at home. I had been resisting, mainly because I was squeamish and worried we'd do it wrong. I feel like it has helped, she used to throw up a couple times a week (small amounts of clear liquid) and she has stopped during the month she's received fluids.

I had high hopes that the fluids, plus feeding her 7 times a day, would help her regain weight. It hasn't- she's staying strong at 5 lbs.

I turn to the forum because I've received such helpful advice here from all of you who might have been in a similar situation. However, I was motivated to post because I've been picking different morsels from post to post, thinking "this part describes Nadia, maybe that would help" but not finding anything that's over 90% similar to her situation, mainly because of the severely underweight aspect of her problem.

I'm worried the KD food isn't meeting her other nutrition requirements since she's so small. I think I'm going to switch her to raw.

Things that complicate our treatment- she hates fish. She's a picky eater (otherwise said, she's a cat). Also, we have a 1.5 year old Siamese male who is over double her size. While they're not buddies, they peacefully coexist and he's fairly respectful of not stealing her food, but he does eat things she's left behind. It prevents me from leaving her food out all day and letting her pick. She currently gets a 100% wet food diet.

Something that will help our treatment- we live in Austin, TX, which is SO naturally based and pet focused. If an oddball treatment or diet exists, I'd wager I can find it locally. I did mention she has had acupuncture, which to the surprise of my vet, lowered her kidney numbers:)

Any advice on how to fatten up a cat while not hurting her kidneys?

I'm so appreciative for any stories anyone can share as to what worked for their fur friend!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although I don't have any advice for you, I've found that often after one person answers a post, others soon follow. I'm keeping you and Nadia in my thoughts, and "seeding" your post, hoping to generate answers from one of our knowledgeable members! There are so many of them. Mainly, I want you to know that you aren't alone. I'm glad that you found us, but sorry it had to be under such trying circumstances!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've had 3 kidney cats, and our last one sounds just like your little old girl. She was tiny to begin with, and got down to just over 5 lbs. She ate 7 - 9 times per day also, and no matter what we did, she never gained any weight back. We were always shocked at that. We never fed the kidney diet, simply because we had her on raw when she was diagnosed (unfortunately, she had been fed kibble for the first 12 years of her life, so the raw came too late in her life :frown: ), and there was no way she would eat that stuff. Our Vet agreed we could keep her on raw as long as we substituted the bone with something else due to the high phosphorus in bone. So we did that for awhile until she decided she no longer cared for raw. As you said, they tend to be very picky, and as the disease progresses, they get worse.

Anyway, I also fed her two meals in the middle of the night. I froze them about an hour before bedtime, then set them on the nightstand, one on an icepak to stay frozen, and one on a towel to start defrosting. (both in ziplok bags so no one could help themselves to it :wink:) She would wake me up when she was ready for the first meal and I would give it to her and then take the next bowl off the icepak and let it start thawing. Worked like a charm to get even MORE food in her. Still didn't help her gain any weight though. And I made sure to pick foods with the highest amount of calories I could find that still had fairly low phosphorus.

Did your Vet check for proteinuria? Apparently that's something that can cause protein to not get into the body or something. Our Vet thought that might be an issue since Callie couldn't gain, but it wasn't.

Have you seen this website? I think anyone with kidney cats needs to have it as a reference. It's definitely my "go to" for anything kidney related: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

I wish there was a magic wand that would fix everything, but for kidney disease, there just isn't :sniffle:

MizLizzie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet, whom I've had through twenty years and six cats, says that when it comes to thyroid disease, you sometimes need to treat to the symptoms not the numbers. This is his philophy, not medical advice! But when our kidney gal began losing weight and yet remained quite physically active for her age, he began checking her thyroid every three months because, he says, you want to get they thyroid levels just right in order to maintain good blood flow to the kidneys. Not too much, not too little. When her coat began to look dry, he began treating the thyroid with tiny doses of medication because he said he just knew from her looks and behavior that it was going south. Her littermate sister had gone hyper the year before, so we were mindful of the risk. (Her sister's kidneys were normal, so we opted for radiation for her.) The only thing I would add -- and it might be on Tanya's website -- is that he stresses the importance of Omega fatty acids for kidney cats, and recommends Nordic Naturals. Our little gal survived seven years with CRF, three of those with hyper-T. She has been gone 16 years now, and we miss her every day. I wish you and your cat the very best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrellio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MizLizzie and mrsgreenjeens, thank you so much for your advice. The nightstand trick is a great idea. And I just have this feeling about hyper-t even though her T4 looks fine. My human doctor feels the same way your vet does- the numbers can be deceiving. I'm going to dig more into that. We'll also investigate the proteinura.

If anyone else has any ideas, they're so appreciated!!

(special thanks to mamamyt- very kind of you to start the party!)

Saf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's a forum attached to Tanya's CKDs site. You'll get the best help there. I learned to trust the advice I got there far ahead of my vets and all the extra time I got with them was from their help, not my vets, who were useless.

Saf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she on mirtazapine yet? That's the go to drug for increasing appetite and weight.

andrellio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Saf, she's not on mirtazapine yet. We have vet appointment on Wednesday. I agree- I find real people who have found specific solutions to be very valuable... and sometimes feel like vets (or doctors) are throwing darts at the board and crossing their fingers.

In the past, I have had a good experience with my vet and I have high hopes they'll partner with me and take my suggestions. I'm trying to do as much research as I can before the visit so I go armed with a course of action to suggest...

Thanks for the testimonial to Tonya's site- everyone keeps mentioning it!! I have my evening reading picked out...

Saf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Saf, she's not on mirtazapine yet. We have vet appointment on Wednesday. I agree- I find real people who have found specific solutions to be very valuable... and sometimes feel like vets (or doctors) are throwing darts at the board and crossing their fingers.

In the past, I have had a good experience with my vet and I have high hopes they'll partner with me and take my suggestions. I'm trying to do as much research as I can before the visit so I go armed with a course of action to suggest...

Thanks for the testimonial to Tonya's site- everyone keeps mentioning it!! I have my evening reading picked out...
You should join the forum asap before your vet visit - support groups.io Group - and wade through the full site later. You'll get great advice there that'll help you before your vet's visit. I've seen them pick up things vets have missed countless times. Give a brief outline and post any recent labs you've got.

andrellio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! Will do.