Worried About My Feral Colony/shelters Being Torn Down

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I haven't been able to get there since Sunday, as I've been very sick. My contact texted me today, and said that the guy who owns the property is going to tear the shelters down today.

I don't know what we're going to do with the cats, even if they are allowed to stay there. If we don't have shelters, what will the poor things do in the winter? There are about 20 cats in the colony.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's tearing down the shelters, he must not care about the cats, so you have good reason to be concerned. I wish I had some advice to offer. I only have empathy. It is such a helpless feeling not to be able to keep the cats safe. I hope the cats can find a shed or someplace to keep warm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I checked this morning, as I had to go to the store there. He removed all of the shelters. I only saw a few of the cats, but I was there at a very unusual time of the day. The guy who built the shelters told me that he has plans to either re-build them or at least, place portable resin dog houses there. It's very warm here today, 75F, but the temps will go down starting tomorrow.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you find a rescue group who will trap and relocate them?

If property owner removed them once can’t believe he won’t do it again or worse.

Wonder why he suddenly decided to take such an action?

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First of all margecat margecat , I'm so very sorry that you're having to go thru this and your colony. It saddens me to no end. I have went thru this with 2 colonies. The first decided to relocate the cats on his own, God only knows what their fate was. The 2nd I still take care of, but have an ally at a local business next door who is helping me transition the feeding and shelters to his business. It's an old, empty building but the property owner is just an a##. It's kind of an out of site out of mind type approach I take with him. I keep the shelters VERY camoflauged and like all my other colonies always pick up after myself and leave the place nicer than what I found it.

I'm wondering whu the sudden removing of the shelters? Do you have any communication with the property owner? How long have you been taking care of this colony?

Again, I'm so sorry your having to go thru this, we worry about our babies enough as is. Then throw the stress of someone taking away their shelters it's just very heartbreaking.