Worried about Miki...

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Miki's been acting strangely for the past two days. First I thought it might just be one of those weird behavioral moments, but now I'm a little concerned. 

Two days ago, I was feeding Miki her normal dry food(Orijen)- she normally gobbles it all up and licks the bowls clean, but for the first time, that day she abruptly stopped eating her food and instead drank ALL of the water in her water bowl in a couple of gulps! I had just refilled the water before feeding her, and she has never drank all of it in one meal. She has also never stopped eating her food to drink so much water.

So I refilled her water bowl and 10 minutes later it was all gone, no more water! I even checked the surrounding area to see if she spilled any water while drinking, but there were no wet spots and she seemed to be going about her business as normal. I decided not to refill her water bowl so she could take a little break from drinking so much, but right when she saw the empty bowl she started meowing like "Meowmy give me my water, I want water!".. A couple minutes later she used the litterbox and as expected when I was scooping it I found a huge clump of urine. I wasn't worried because it was probably just all that water she drank.

That 24-hour period she urinated 6 times in her litter box, no feces at all, just huge urine clumps.. I thought something might have been wrong, so I called the vet, and the vet said I was "overreacting" and that as long as she kept doing everything as normal she would be fine. So I cleaned her litter box as normal and let her do her own thing.

That morning I found another 2 smaller urine clumps in the box and one urine puddle right next to the box. Now I was worried-Miki's not particularly picky about using her litter box and she will use it even if there is already stuff in it, especially stuff as small as 2 urine clumps. Also, she has always been perfectly fine with the litter brand I buy her.  I cleaned the puddles and the clumps and when I came back she was drinking water again. She wouldn't eat any dry or wet food for breakfast no matter how hard I tried to make her. That afternoon during her usual daily play session she was acting just a little sleepy and didn't get up to chase the feather wand as she normally did, she just followed it with her eyes. Nighttime- I was giving her second meal of the day (PureVita wet food), and I found 3 more giant urine clumps in her litter box and another puddle a little farther away from it. I had just cleaned it an hour previously (and of course what I scooped out was all urine). She only licked a little bit of her wet food and then started vigorously drinking her water. 

So I called the vet again-they said they would take a look and see if anything in her body looked abnormal-- they took her temperature, heart rate, everything seemed perfectly fine- I told them to do an X-ray just in case, to make sure that nothing was wrong inside (because she had been urinating so frequently). They did an overall check and they told me that one of her kidneys was abnormally small... it had never been like this before (I take Miki for vet checkups every 4 months or so). She said it would be "nothing" and that it was normal, but I know several friends whose cats have died from this condition which led to more severe diseases. So I'm really worried now.

She urinated a lot today again but I also scooped up one piece of feces from her litter box. She is eating more (regularly now) but she is still drinking water SO much! I literally have to refill it every hour or so and when I don't she meows and paws at my feet like I am depriving her of everything. 

Do any of you have any advice? My vet seems to be not caring... I'm just worried that she'll develop a kidney disease, but it seems like they're functioning because she's urinating so much!

Sorry for the super long thread,

Miki's meowmy

Last edited:

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they run bloodwork on her?  Drinking excessively is almost always caused by either Diabetes, Hyperthyroidism or Kidney Disease. If your vet didn't run labwork I would get a 2nd opinion and have bloodwork ran somewhere else.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, they did a blood test, but they said the results were inconclusive... I'm so worried. She just urinated again, on the carpet in the living room this time, which is nowhere near her litter box.  

that guy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Time to take her to a new vet, this doesn't sound like a regular issue and I think you are right to be concerned. My guy pees about the same amount of liquid as your cat and he gets sub-q's every day so that is not normal. If one kidney is smaller (just like my cat) there is a concern and although I am not a doctor or a vet I don't think this is right. When cats start with renal failure they will start to drink a lot because their bodies tell them they are not getting enough water and they can't stop drinking. Does she seem like she is losing weight? Does she feel any bonier? Do the skin test by the base of her neck to see if she is losing hydration. How old is she?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I would definately take her to another vet for a second opinion this is not right. Trust your instinct don't think that you are overreacting you know your cat better than anyone

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Time to take her to a new vet, this doesn't sound like a regular issue and I think you are right to be concerned. My guy pees about the same amount of liquid as your cat and he gets sub-q's every day so that is not normal. If one kidney is smaller (just like my cat) there is a concern and although I am not a doctor or a vet I don't think this is right. When cats start with renal failure they will start to drink a lot because their bodies tell them they are not getting enough water and they can't stop drinking. Does she seem like she is losing weight? Does she feel any bonier? Do the skin test by the base of her neck to see if she is losing hydration. How old is she?
Thank you so much. I am switching vets very soon- I'm really sick of my vet acting "uncaring" about this situation, he used to be very helpful...
 Yeah, I knew something was wrong right away. I will definitely check with the new vet about the abnormal kidney, that is the part that worries me most. Right now, she's eating normally (but still drinking excessively)- I just picked her up and gave her a good petting and looking-over and it doesn't seem she's losing any weight or getting any bonier. I tried the skin test too- the skin bounces right back flat, so I don't think she's dehydrated. It's certainly very strange and upsetting. 

Last edited:

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, we got the results back today- apparently her urine is almost clear, which means that she isn't concentrating it well and probably has kidney disease. Also, they found an increased number in the amount of white blood cells, which means that she's got an inflammation somewhere in her urinary system. According to the (new) vet, who is much better than the old vet (I hope), she doesn't have any kidney stones or any other abnormalities. Does she have CRF or some other disease? I'm pretty sure it's not diabetes but it could always be. Today was not a good start to the new year for me. 
 We're having another vet visit tomorrow so they can perform an ultrasound to see exactly what is going on.

Today- more sleepiness, more urine clumps, a little eating, and a small piece of feces. Sigh.

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry to read this. Many vibes for Miki and lots of hugs for you. It is so very difficult when our furbabies are sick.

The positive news though is that if the bloodwork did not show impaired kidney function, it may be in the very early stages and with treatment and care, she may have many years left. Don't lose hope.

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry to read this. Many vibes for Miki and lots of hugs for you. It is so very difficult when our furbabies are sick.

The positive news though is that if the bloodwork did not show impaired kidney function, it may be in the very early stages and with treatment and care, she may have many years left. Don't lose hope.
Thank you!
 We took her for an ultrasound today and the vet will call me when the results come. Crossed fingers she'll be okay... 

Yeah.. the bloodwork should have been accurate in that aspect. Today she drank a little less water (at least it seemed), but she still urinated a LOT... two more puddles outside of her litter box- I switched litters and nothing helped, I moved her water bowl a little farther away from her food bowl but that didn't help. Thank goodness she's still eating, but she slept so much today, a lot more than usual- AND she missed her playtime, again!

Now I'm just hoping that the ultrasound results are not too terrible. I'm being such a pessimist. 

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like diabetes but of course that needs to be vet disgnosed. Everything you say sounds familiar. I was getting kind of annoyed at my cat because of the "accidents" but it's because she couldn't get to the box in time. She was getting older and I just thought it was that. The urine output was HUGE. She was shortly thereafter diagnosed. Has she recently lost weight?

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We got the ultrasound results back today. The vet said that one of her kidneys is infected, but that it's in its earliest stages and that it should be treatable. The vet prescribed meds and I am putting Miki on a new diet with restricted protein content and a low phosphate content. She has still been acting very sleepy. 

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's normal. For now I'm giving her meds and putting her on a bland diet. She seems to be having less issues with urinating outside her litter box 

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We got the ultrasound results back today. The vet said that one of her kidneys is infected, but that it's in its earliest stages and that it should be treatable. The vet prescribed meds and I am putting Miki on a new diet with restricted protein content and a low phosphate content. She has still been acting very sleepy. 
Usually Protein restriction is not needed until it is in the advanced stages of Kidney Failure.  Endocrine Vet:  What to feed with Kidney Failure  The thing you want to feed for is a high quality protein with lower phosphorus levels.  If there isn't enough protein in the diet, the protein in the muscles will be broken down and used as energy. Your cat will lose weight, and very very quickly.    http://catinfo.org/#Kidney_Failure  This talks about the different aspects of feeding CRF kitties:  http://www.felinecrf.org/nutritional_requirements.htm  Ideally you want to feed a diet with phosphorus levels below 0.5%  But cat go up to 1.0% safely.  http://www.felinecrf.org/which_foods.htm#low_phosphorus

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for not responding to this thread for so long- cprcheetah, THANK YOU so much for the advice 
 I'm not very experienced with kidney disease in cats, so I'm always very happy to learn new things. So far, Miki's diet has been working very well! She has not urinated outside of her litter box for 4 days and she is eating and drinking almost regularly. 

that guy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's great to hear something is working, hopefully this keeps up.

miki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Miki is doing very well! Yesterday I was slightly worried because she slept from 12 am to 7 pm without stop but then at night she ate, drank and used her litter box. Today she has been doing fine.