Worried About Letting Cat Go To Owner

c.c.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Backstory: my dad cared for an eldery friend who was also feeding a former stray cat, who was now just a mostly 'outside' cat. Friend passed away and my dad had promised to take care of the cat. I offered to temporarily take in the cat so my dad could settle his affairs. The cat was brought in with ticks and matted fur and while he's now ok with me, is still scared of everything and everyone, including my dad. Soon i'll have to give this cat to my dad, who, besides feeding it, has not taken care of him, and is not planning to either. He just wants to keep it outside and feed him (which, with his schedule, is probably not going be twice a day). I do not have the means to take the cat in myself, and I doubt I can find anyone else to take him in (and i'm not sure if my dad would allow it). I'm worried sick about this because while he's accustomed to being outside, he loves to be pet and brushed and i'm thinking maybe one of the reasons he was mostly outside was because he was scared of my dad? I am planning on having a serious discussion about this but i'm not very hopefull. I'm thinking I might drop by once a week to keep an eye on things but there's a chance the cat is just going to run away if he doesn't feel safe with my dad. I don't know if anyone can offer some advice, I mostly needed to vent I guess. Thanks for reading.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw my. I do think the cat would do best staying with you.

One problem here is, the 'other person' is your dad! Would he consider 'sponsoring' the cat, so it can stay with you, he can pay for vetting, and have visiting rights? That may be an option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

c.c.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aw my. I do think the cat would do best staying with you.

One problem here is, the 'other person' is your dad! Would he consider 'sponsoring' the cat, so it can stay with you, he can pay for vetting, and have visiting rights? That may be an option.
I'll be moving soon to a place where i'm not sure if i'm allowed to bring a cat, but if I can, it might be an option. I'll just have to persuade my dad that his promis to 'take care of the cat' means that actual care has to take place, regardless of who does it.