Worried About Kittens

Michael_123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I am fairly new to Cat pregnancy in general and my decently young cat, about a year old now had a litter of 5 around 3 weeks ago. She has moved them a lot which was fine because there was nothing bad about the spots but now for whatever reason she has taken 2 of the 5 kittens out of the nest that's in the center of my closet and has moved them to the corner of my closet and is exclusively feeding them. I thought maybe the other 3 were sick because I read mother cats will separate the sick from healthy so they don't spread disease, but she before this she grabbed one only and moved it to the corner, and when I brought him back she brought another random one to the corner, but now she decided to bring 2. Every time she has brought one she has sat there and exclusively fed it. It's confusing me because she has brought random ones which makes me think the cats aren't sick. Any help would be appreciated!
Edit: Also I forgot to mention that today we bathed the kittens and the mom because they had fleas. We bathed them in Dawn and changed the bedding, not sure if this could be the cause for the weird moving of the kittens or not.

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be the bath. Cats identify each other by smell. My female will often hiss and growl at my male if we've had to bath him for some reason and it can go on for days. Grab a sock and pet mum with it, then pet the babies with it so her smell gets back onto them and see how she goes. In the meantime do you have things in place to keep them fed and healthy?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Such happens sometimes. It seems its usually a natural way to rotate. she has a rather big litter, they are quarreling, and she thinks its too much. There is no peace nor calm. So she takes them out in small groups, and qives quality time.

You can do so you too. Have an extra little litter, with heating pad and everything. Have the two biggest there sleeping their midday nap, while the 3 smallest you have with momma. and rotate them after 2 hours; the 2 biggest may eat and the 3 may sleep THEIR midday nap....

The other variant is as you mentioned; she usually abandons a kitten whom she thinks will die. Or sometimes the opposite; helps extra one whom needs extra care.
But it doesnt seems to be the case here.

Hi everyone, I am fairly new to Cat pregnancy in general and my decently young cat, about a year old now had a litter of 5 around 3 weeks ago. She has moved them a lot which was fine because there was nothing bad about the spots but now for whatever reason she has taken 2 of the 5 kittens out of the nest that's in the center of my closet and has moved them to the corner of my closet and is exclusively feeding them. I thought maybe the other 3 were sick because I read mother cats will separate the sick from healthy so they don't spread disease, but she before this she grabbed one only and moved it to the corner, and when I brought him back she brought another random one to the corner, but now she decided to bring 2. Every time she has brought one she has sat there and exclusively fed it. It's confusing me because she has brought random ones which makes me think the cats aren't sick. Any help would be appreciated!
Edit: Also I forgot to mention that today we bathed the kittens and the mom because they had fleas. We bathed them in Dawn and changed the bedding, not sure if this could be the cause for the weird moving of the kittens or not.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that mom is confused by bath smells.

Put the kittens back together with mom in one room and close the door. Make sure she is feeding them all. They don't sound sick! :)