Worried about kitten's weight

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I'm watching a kitten for a friend who had to go out of town and I'm worried about his weight.
She found him up a tree at what we suspect was 7 weeks because his eyes were in the process of transitioning from blue to yellowish.
Now he's around 9 weeks and doesn't seem to be growing like I think he should.
I should have weighed him when I first took him in but I didn't because I didn't want to freak him out. He would still get afraid of people sometimes at that point and I didn't want to make it a habit.
I weighed him a few days ago (3 I think) and he was 2lbs 12oz. Now today I weighed him and he was only 2lbs 13oz. And this was after I fed him a little bit so I'm worried that extra ounce was simply just the food in his belly..
Is it normal for a kitten to not gain weight at this age? I thought they were supposed to gain an ounce or so a day?

And of course pictures:

When he first came to my house

Size difference :p

His name is Sage :-)

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 pounds 12 ounces is normally a good weight for a 9 or 10 week old kitten; but yes he should be gaining more at this age. Sometimes there can be some variation, he might not put on weight every day, and it's not the worst thing in the world if he only gained an ounce in 3 days. but you are wise to be monitoring this.

Has he been to a vet yet? It might be intestinal parasites is the problem that is affecting his growth. Ask the vet if you should bring a fecal sample. I would get him there for de-worming and vaccination too if the vet thinks he is healthy enough for both. otherwise you can bring him back for his first shots. He will need at least 2 visits for shots as a kitten. and the de-worming medicine needs to be given at least twice , It is possible he could need more than one kind depending what they find.

He is an absolutely adorable little guy and I love those EARS. Thanks for saving him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's been to the vet but I don't know if they did a fecal because she took him and not me. Like I said, I'm only watching him while she is away. ^^

I looked at some weights for kittens his age and it seems he's on the higher end of the spectrum so I'm not as worried as I was. But I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes if he's really 9 weeks that weight is definitely on the high end of the range -- that is a very good weight. . so it can't be any ongoing major problem or he would be smaller for his age.

And if he's been to the vet, he probably did have the standard de-worming that they would give for most kittens? You would probably remember since normally you would have to give the follow up dose(s) at home.
But sometimes it has to be repeated again if it doesnt kill off all the life stages of worms then the eggs grow up into adult worms and start stealing the kittens nutrients. so it can seem like things are OK and then can get worse.

So just keep an eye on his growth, (and on his poop since worms often cause stinky poop and/or diarrhea) . but hopefully he is fine and you dont have to go back until time for his 2nd set of kitten shots.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I want to add, keep on the socializing and fostering of him, if he needs it.  It is easier to socialize them when they are young then when thay are adults.

Of course, young kittens arent always love bugs, but he shouldnt be afraid of normal, friendly people.

Be a little careful, yes, look and see some before he comes forwards, normal. But usually he "shall" come forwards to greet friendly visitors.  Let them also take him up, for a while at least.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maewkaew, there isn't anything for me to remember because like I said, I didn't take him to the vet; he's not my cat, he's my friend's.
He has been having stinky/mushy poop lately, but I thought that was because I got too excited about feeding him new things and changed his food too much. I'll have my friend take him to the vet when she gets back to double check.

StefanZ, he's only afraid of people walking around when he's on the ground. People are pretty giant to him still and so he gets nervous. But he loves being picked up and snuggled on, so he definitely likes humans.