Worried about kittens’ spay incisions

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all! I hope this post finds you all and your kitties companions well.

Last Friday, we took Snowy and Oreo to a low-cost vet to be spayed. They have wonderful reviews and were recommended by a few cat rescues and fosters in the area.

I took in three 2-day old kittens in September and we decided to add all 3 to our family. Snowy has been leaving her incision site alone for the most part but Oreo has been licking it lightly during some of her grooming sessions. I also caught Oreo licking Snowy’s incision site while they were cuddling yesterday. This has me very stressed and I did make them cat onesies out of baby onesies but eventually they wiggle out of them.

If anyone would be so kind as to look at their incision photos from a few minutes ago and tell me if they look okay so far. They both have warm bellies so I can’t tell if they are warm from the healing or an infection or just their normal temp. Oreo’s incisions seems to be redder today but I have sniffed both incisions and neither has a smell of any kind and there is no active seepage from either. They are acting okay, just seem extra tired since Friday. I believe it’s their bodies needing more sleep to heal but I could be wrong.

I’m worried about our babies and some reassurance would calm my anxious mind. I plan to send pics to the vet tomorrow. Thank you so much for your help!
The first is Snowy and the last two are of Oreo.

164FFE17-7A0C-4248-BF87-AFF6C90D603E.jpeg
79881827-0DEE-459E-8DB9-DF6B715FFDC5.jpeg

79881827-0DEE-459E-8DB9-DF6B715FFDC5.jpeg

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are a couple additional pics of them :)

3D902919-FEDA-46D7-8055-13ADE0E8C50A.jpeg
F0910D67-7FB7-4C38-BA7D-EACAA3C9272D.jpeg
B328316C-7130-4B77-ABD4-640F58CEFEB5.jpeg
958BB0B1-BA23-425C-9D60-CCA970636D9B.jpeg
19A22113-4AE4-4FF8-8B92-46DDFB689C7C.jpeg

Snowy, Oreo, and their brother Chunk :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They don't look that bad. There is almost always going to be just a bit of bruising and minor swelling at an incision site. That's what this looks like. I do not see any signs of pus, which would be a cause for alarm. You may see a small amount of clear fluid, either straw-colored or faintly pink. That is serum, and is part of the healing process. Nothing to worry about. Actual pus is white/grey/greenish and very thick.

GORGEOUS kittens, BTW!

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They don't look that bad. There is almost always going to be just a bit of bruising and minor swelling at an incision site. That's what this looks like. I do not see any signs of pus, which would be a cause for alarm. You may see a small amount of clear fluid, either straw-colored or faintly pink. That is serum, and is part of the healing process. Nothing to worry about. Actual pus is white/grey/greenish and very thick.

GORGEOUS kittens, BTW!
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Thank you so much for the reply! It was so helpful! I appreciate you looking at the photos. Hopefully they keep healing without any issues. It’s been almost impossible to keep them from playing and they get too stressed when separated from each other. We’ve done our best to keep them calm but that kitten energy never stops. :) It’s been an adventure for sure!

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The incisions look fine. If the cats aren't aggressively licking the incision site, I wouldn't worry about them opening it up.
V vince Thank you for replying and looking at the photos. I’ll definitely continue to keep an eye on the licking. They really don’t like the onesies and find a way to get out every time so I’m hoping they’ll just leave everything alone so it can heal without any issues. :)

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to try again with the onesies, others have used a tube sock to make one if the kittens are small enough. Since your kitties are doing so well and they don't like the onesie, you might just let them go without. They've been convalescing for almost a week anyway. They'll be good to go by next week.

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
V vince Thank you for your suggestions. I’ll try a tube sock just in case.

Today, both kittens have a lump under and to the side of their incisions. I know I’ve read they can get a seroma. Is this something serious? Is there anything I can do to help it heal? Thank you!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's usually some swelling that will go away on its own. No special treatment. I'd give it some more time.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The incisions look great! The lump is sometimes a buildup of scar tissue and fluid. It will go away on its own.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know I’ve read they can get a seroma.
Remember what I said about serum? A seroma is just a little pocket of serum, and I've never heard of one that didn't subside and go away on its own. It might be possible that it doesn't, but it would be very rare, indeed.