Worried About Bloodwork Results

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Kila (4 year old calico) had been exhibiting some symptoms of dental pain recently (licking her lips, yawning a lot, drooling, tooth grinding) so we took her to the vet to get her mouth checked out. They found two "bad" teeth, which she had surgery to remove this past week and a full cleaning. She's a few days recovered from surgery now and still doing well, though some of her original symptoms persist.

Before her surgery she had bloodwork done, and at her follow up visit today I asked the vet to go over the results with us. He found a few abnormalities:
  • High HCT (52.7%, reference is 30.3 - 52.3)
  • High HGB (16.5 g/dL, reference is 9.8 - 16.2)
  • High lympocytes (7.93 K/uL, reference is 0.92 - 6.88)
  • High total protein (9.0 g/dL, reference is 5.7 - 8.9)
  • High globulin (5.3 g/dL, reference is 2.8 - 5.1)
All the rest of her values were in the normal range, including her liver enzymes (which we were previously worried about due to the antifreeze poisoning she had when she was a kitten -- at least some good news!)

The vet was weirdly both concerned and not concerned... he said it's definitely something we should be keeping an eye on, and that we should do a follow up in 2-3 months to check and see how things progress. He said these elevations indicated "inflammation" and could be caused by any number of things. He also said something to the effect of, statistically, this is probably nothing to be too concerned about, and not to freak out about it. But of course I'm freaking out about it anyway, especially with that globulin level. I really am stressing that this could be the start of FIP, cancer, etc.

Kila's had a lot of weird but mostly benign symptoms since we got her, which I'm wondering if that is related to what we're seeing in the bloodwork here. She just doesn't seem to be operating at 100% ever... she's just a little off all the time. But as many times as we take her in, the vet has continued to stress that as long as she's eating, going to the bathroom, and playing (which she is), she should be fine. She never has a fever or anything immediately concerning.

She dealt with a rough respiratory infection, very possibly herpes, and then was diagnosed with bronchitis when we first got her, which is being treated with daily antihistamines. Maybe the herpes or the bronchitis is contributing to the inflammation? I've been nervous that the antihistamines aren't doing enough for her, since her breathing rate tends to be a little elevated throughout the day (while awake -- she's always around at 20 bpm while sleeping) and she tends to get fatigued easily during exercise, even though her cough has been effectively treated.

She's also had tapeworms twice in the few months we've had her... her stomach in general is very delicate and she gets diarrhea easily if we mess with her food at all. She's vomited two times total, for no real discernible reason, both in the middle of the night hours after she'd eaten.

I know there's not much to do at this point but wait and recheck her in a few months and monitor her symptoms. But if anyone has any insights, or has had a cat with similar bloodwork results in the past, please let me know what you think. Thanks so much. <3

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, bronchitis is an inflammation, so that may well be contributing to this. Additionally, there may well have been some infection from the bad teeth. Hence your vet's "weird reaction." And his insistence on following up in a month or two. If the issue is secondary to the teeth, it should have resolved itself by then. If it hasn't, it is time to explore further. And he's right...if she is eating, drinking, playing, and using her box normally, she's basically NOT in an extreme situation.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be related to an infection and the severity of the bronchitis. I would wait and see what the labs show in a couple of months.

How is she acting otherwise?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frazzfox

Mama to Kila the Calico
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, bronchitis is an inflammation, so that may well be contributing to this. Additionally, there may well have been some infection from the bad teeth. Hence your vet's "weird reaction." And his insistence on following up in a month or two. If the issue is secondary to the teeth, it should have resolved itself by then. If it hasn't, it is time to explore further. And he's right...if she is eating, drinking, playing, and using her box normally, she's basically NOT in an extreme situation.
Thanks, and you're absolutely right. I'm fine with following up in a month or two, I suppose I'm just nervous that I'm not being aggressive enough about treatment and that something is causing her pain or stress currently. :( I wish there was a better way of knowing.

It could be related to an infection and the severity of the bronchitis. I would wait and see what the labs show in a couple of months.

How is she acting otherwise?
She's acting okay -- it's been hard to tell what her baseline is because she's been sick in various capacities since we got her. She sleeps a LOT, like most of the day and all night, but she also plays, gets the zoomies, eats ravenously at each meal. Uses the litter box regularly. I mentioned before she has a lot of odd symptoms that we haven't quite been able to place and I monitor them continuously. It's just frustrating not knowing what's going on.

The one thing that she does that bothers me that I haven't been able to figure out is that when she sleeps on a ledge or on the bed or any raised platform, she hangs her head over the side of it? She seems to be doing this more and more lately, and kind of applying pressure to her throat area by pressing it against the edge of whatever she's sitting on (not enough to choke herself but enough that it seems like it would be uncomfortable.), though sometimes she just hangs her head over the side without the pressure. The vet wasn't sure what this meant, it's kind of puzzling.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat who sleeps with her head hanging over the side of the cat tree. It bothers me, but she seems to be okay with it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
UM...cats normally sleep about 18 hours a day, so she may be perfectly normal in that respect.