Worried About A Sick Cat

jennielouises

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was sick about an hour ago. It was white foam which I believe is bike. She was eating grass before. She then ate her pate, spat a bit up and then ate it again. After which she’s been what looks like dry heaving or hiccuping. I’m not sure which. But she clearly feels sick as she keeps licking her lips and opening her mouth likes she’s going to be. She’s purring when we go near her and just drank some of her cat milk (before we could take it away from her). We’re between vets right now. I cancelled one yesterday and she’s due to register at the new one tomorrow. What should I do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Do you have any plain pumpkin - try a teaspoon of that.

Also, you could put a tiny amount of plain unscented Vaseline on her paw or cheek so that she licks it and ingests it. Cats don't absorb any of the components of Vaseline and it'll help move things along. If she's a longhaired cat watch that she doesn't have a sticky dingleberry after this all passes through (speaking from experience, can you tell LOL)

Also, you could try some boiled unseasoned 50/50 chicken and rice to help if it's an upset tummy.

It might be a hairball and nothing more, but it's very good timing that she's going in to see one tomorrow...hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennielouises

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I don’t have any of that unfortunately. I did put some of that stuff on her paw that’s meant to help with a hairball and she licked it. She’s still licking her lips a lot but heaving less. It’s almost like a cough this heave my vets said maybe some grass has irritated her throat as she’s drunk the cat milk and seems normal otherwise. Still can’t sleep though

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm keeping you in my thoughts, hopefully you have the "joy" of stepping into a nice wet gushy squishy hairball in the morning LOL

jennielouises

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nope. She’s still doing it and no hairball. I’m not sure if she’s gagging or coughing to be honest. She’s making noises like a cough and a sneeze but she’s jerking her hair forward like she’s going to be sick. Our vets don’t open for another 1.5 hours

jennielouises

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s the grass in our front garden. We haven’t sprayed it. However, god knows whether some sicko has done it. Wish the vets opened earlier

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there's no 24 hour emergency vet nearby, just do your best to get her in to your local vet when they open their doors. Best of luck!

jennielouises

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I phoned the emergency vet line last night and they said it didn’t sound like an emergency and to get her to the vet first thing this morning.

jennielouises

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We took her to the vets this morning. They kept her in to sedate her and check her throat. They couldn’t find anything and her stomach was fine. We’re just on our way to pick her up now. They said she hasn’t done the gagging since she’s been with them which is typical! I wonder if she had a small blade of grass stuck in her throat or she hurt her throat after being sick the bile. We are to starve her for the rest of the day (the vets fed her a bit), then give her bland food for two days and slowly wean her back to normal food. No idea what happened

jennielouises

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got another update for you. She’s been sneezing and pawing at her nose ever since then. She just sneezed out a blade of grass from her nose! We paid £280 for her to be sedated to check and they missed it. But hopefully she will recover now