Worried about a respiratory infection

canelathecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I noticed last week that my cat had a clear liquid coming out of her nose (looked like a clear, flowy booger). I wiped it away and it never came back. I have noticed that she occasionally sneezes and today she made like a hacking sound (almost like a cough but not exactly). When she meows it sounds a little more hoarse than usual. I also noticed that she’s sighing a little more than normal. Last week she also snored during the night which I found strange since she’s never done it. It only happened that night though and hasn’t happened since. She’s eating and drinking water like normal and will still play with her toys. Not sure if this is something that will require a vet visit or may just be allergies. Let me know what you think or if any of you have experience with this. I adopted her about a month ago and she’s my first cat so I’m fairly new to being a cat mom. She’s 11 months old if that adds any perspective. Thanks in advance!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be an upper respiratory infection, but it sounds more like allergies, especially if your weather is changing. Cats can have allergies just like humans and with all the same symptoms, runny eyes and nose, itchy ears, post nasal drip, and sneezing. Keep an eye on her and if you notice it getting worse, like more frequent sneezing, more coughing, or more drainage from the nose or eyes, then get her to the vet. If you notice any change in her eating habits, she becomes lethargic, starts hiding, or just looks miserable, get her to the vet because she could have an upper respiratory infection that needs to be addressed by the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

canelathecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I did end up taking her to the vet today just to be on the safe side. I was told it was a mild infection and she was given an antibiotic injection, Convenia, which is suppose to last two weeks. Was this the right course of action? I looked up Convenia and it says it’s used to treat skin infections but no mention about respiratory infections.