Worms!

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hoping to get some input from you guys. I happened to notice one of my kittens, Simon, passing a stool that had a roundworm in it. He is currently getting treated but, I'm not really sure if I should contact my vet for more info.

I got Simon 8/31, and took him to the vet a week later. He was diagnosed with coccidia (sp?) and "worms," but they didn't say what. I did suspect roundworms or tapeworms as they are really common. They gave him something to "take care of the worms" at the office (they gave me meds for coccidia the following day) and when Simon got home, he did pass quite a bunch.

His condition prior to that was just some loose stool. He was good for a couple of weeks after that, but got a little soft the week before his follow up visit. During this time, I got a 2nd cat, Garfunkel. I took them both just for a look over, but this time I was not able to get a stool sample. I told the vet about the loose stool so he gave them Pyrantel in the office, and gave me 2 syringes (each) and told me to administer them 10 days apart.

They got their 2nd dose on Monday, and their next isn't until 11/1. I was a little surprised to see the roundworm, as I thought maybe the coccidia was still present and had made his stool a little soft (it's fine now). I only just changed out the sand in their litter boxes on Tuesday, partially because it was time but also partially in case anything was shed.

Is it normal to be giving dewormer so far apart? The vet also didn't give me any other instructions as far as cross contamination or anything. He only commented at the 2nd visit that Simon had been "loaded" with worms, but didn't really say anything the first time around. I've been lucky in the past to not really have to deal with worms, and when I did it was taken care of rather quickly. How long is it going to take until Simon (and I assume now Garfunkel) is in the clear?

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dealt with worms years ago with my girl, Lilly. In her case, she had contracted them by eating fleas, which had found their way into my home. It wasn't infested - an errant few, really. But all it takes is one.

I was given a deworm serum, which seemed to kill them for a bit. Then, she got them back a few weeks later, and I went back to the vet for answers. They ended up finding flea dander in her fur, and we figured it out from there. I had to rid my home of the fleas first, then give her the deworm, so they wouldn't come back.

Those may have been a different type of worms from the ones your baby is suffering through, but I thought I'd share just in case. Something to think about. In any case, I'd imagine you should clean their litter boxes out completely and sanitize them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dealt with worms years ago with my girl, Lilly. In her case, she had contracted them by eating fleas, which had found their way into my home. It wasn't infested - an errant few, really. But all it takes is one.

I was given a deworm serum, which seemed to kill them for a bit. Then, she got them back a few weeks later, and I went back to the vet for answers. They ended up finding flea dander in her fur, and we figured it out from there. I had to rid my home of the fleas first, then give her the deworm, so they wouldn't come back.

Those may have been a different type of worms from the ones your baby is suffering through, but I thought I'd share just in case. Something to think about. In any case, I'd imagine you should clean their litter boxes out completely and sanitize them.
They checked him for fleas, but he didn't have any, which surprised me because we don't know how long he was outside for. It seems likely that it was passed from the mother and maybe was never treated till he was dumped at 3 months old. I'm mostly speculating that someone who would do that wouldn't bother appropriate care.

How often should I be dumping and sanitizing the boxes? I don't know how long Pyrantel stays in the system, but he does have another dose yet on Nov 1.

SnowandDali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Clean her box every week and apply fresh new litter to it, basic cleaning around her litter box area and house hold.