World's loudest cat

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of us have seen the news about Bluey, who is said to generate a purr "louder than a tube train".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/32159386

Bluey probably has the world's loudest purr, but personally I doubt the claim where her purr reached 93 decibels, which can cause hearing loss due to sustained exposure. That number was achieved using a smartphone app to measure the decibels, which is probably the most unscientific way to measure it. 
  In the video, they put the phone very close to her muzzle. I was able to hit 90 decibels on my sound meter just by blowing into the phone's mic, and 83 decibels by clapping softly near the mic.

Bottomline, yes, she is loud, but no, she is probably not as loud as a tube train and she probably won't cause hearing loss to you. Of course, without actually meeting her, it's just speculation on my part, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's equivalent to a loud snore -- the kind that spouses get woken up by.

It's a pity some people didn't want to adopt her just because of her purr, although I can understand why. I love the sound of her purr in the video. So happy someone is taking her in, though. Let's just hope they aren't just doing it for the publicity. She's an old girl who should go to a forever home.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, sweet old girl. Her purr does sound like a snore, but it's a very endearing sound nonetheless.
The video in that story didn't work for me, but I found her on YouTube:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wouldn't bother me a bit.  She sure is pretty. I can think of far worse sounds to have to live with.