World's Best Cat Litter Question

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to find an AFFORDABLE lower dust clumping litter and World's best was suggested by the girl at the store. It's the one she uses and she loves it. She said that yes, it is expensive but it lasts longer because you don't have to use as much. So she feels like the price is mildly comparable because it lasts longer. Here is where I'm confused. If it's clumping, what you scoop out, if the pee amount is the same, will the the same as if you use any other litter, so you may not have to put as much in the box for odor control and such but you will still have to top it up as you scoop. SO, if your cat's out put is the same you're still scooping out the same amount therefor still using the same amount.
I'm I missing something here???? If I'm missing something obvious...please be kind:lol: lol!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only speak to two litters because I have only recently switched to World's Best. Before that, we were using A Better Way for a number of years (and some wholly unremarkable brands before that.) A Better Way is your standard clumping clay.

World's Best is a larger litter particle than A Better Way. I think World's Best is also more absorbent. So yes, the pee output is the same, but the amount of litter required to sop it up is different due to size of the litter and the effective surface area as well as the absorbency. I do scoop out smaller pee clumps with World's Best even though it's a larger particle. That's why I think it's more absorbent. Also, World's Best is scoopable right after use whereas A Better Way needed time to clump up. A World's Best box also smells better than A Better Way.

When I first tried World's Best, I joked with the woman at the counter, "That's a pretty bold claim they are making." But then she talked me into and I'm glad she did. Does it live up to the claim? I don't know. I haven't tried the rest. But it's better than all I have used so far.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use World’s Best and I absolutely adore it. One bag for two cats and two litter boxes lasts about two weeks just using it to top off both boxes. My female cat puts out tennis ball sized pee clumps and I bet if my boy did that too I’d get another week out of the litter but he waits longer to go so therefore he can put out grapefruit size clumps more often than not. THOSE take a lot of litter. :lol: I’d say give it a shot though and see what you think!

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure what Krista would think of World's Best. I started to mix WB in as and when the box needed to be topped off. Eventually, the box was all World's Best. The transition definitely wasn't overnight or even in a week like a food change. Your cat(s) may be more adventurous or forgiving.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat(s) may be more adventurous or forgiving.
I've only recently adopted the three of them from a shelter. So far they are the easiest going kitties. I'm starting an elimination trial for one who may have an allergy and rotating several foods for the two who do not. So far any food I put in front of them gets eaten without any fuss (or messy output either:D) I assume changing litter will not be an issue either as I have a feeling that the shelter probably uses anything they can get their hands on. They were all rescues, and have spent most of their lives in the shelter. They are 2, almost 2 and 1 year old, so I have a feeling that their personalities have been set for the most part, they are very well socialized (although one is timid, but getting better everyday) and well trained in "cat manners". I really lucked out with my new babies.
The reason for a low dust, is that one of the kitties has Feline Herpes so I want to help keep his airways as free of irritants as possible. He sneezes almost every time he uses the litter I currently have, nothing major, just one little sneeze, but still... It's a basic clumping, unscented litter, but contains baking soda for odor control, I think that's what gets all stirred up when scratching. And holy cow! He love's to dig!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista is 14. I've had her twelve of those years. She's been through a lot this last year and is only now starting to show her age. We did have a spell where she was peeing the walls. I came to know that was because her teeth were hurting so much; she was trying to get my attention. When we extracted her problem teeth, she stopped peeing the walls. But now that I know she has that behavior in her, and that she can still smell some of her old areas despite the enzyme treatment (she'll linger sniff them), I don't want to tempt her into rejecting litterbox changes.