Workman Freaked Out Cat!

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm having a new sewer line put in today and normally the cats are upstairs in the bedroom in the early am. Today my former semi-feral-now-lovey housecat, Piper, was downstairs. When they brought the digger up to our house she freaked out ran into the kitchen and went under our dishwasher. The covering is always a bit loose as the floor underneath the DW has settled so it's easy for them to push their way behind it.

So she's hiding in there! I can't see her head. She won't come out:( . I'm worried that she's stuck and paranoid that after the workmen leave I'm going to have to call someone in to dismantle the DW and get her out.

Her back end is the fuzzy stuff you see at the edge. Her upper body and face are behind the workings of the DW:( . Tell me I'm worrying too much and she will be able to get out without any fuss after the construction stops.
Cat under DW.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat as well that goes into hysterics at any stranger or worker that comes to the house. First thing to do is take a deep breath. If she squeezed under the dishwasher, in all likelihood she can get herself out. But that isn’t going to happen until the workmen and their noise is gone and she is sure they aren’t coming back. Best thing you can do in the meantime is ignore her and go about your routine. This will make her feel calmer than you in front of the DW trying to coax her out. I would take the food away and set it where you normally put it, turn on some music, and do what you normally do.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat as well that goes into hysterics at any stranger or worker that comes to the house. First thing to do is take a deep breath. If she squeezed under the dishwasher, in all likelihood she can get herself out. But that isn’t going to happen until the workmen and their noise is gone and she is sure they aren’t coming back. Best thing you can do in the meantime is ignore her and go about your routine. This will make her feel calmer than you in front of the DW trying to coax her out. I would take the food away and set it where you normally put it, turn on some music, and do what you normally do.
:yess: Good advice, I totally agree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't get a chance to reply yesterday but I did check in on my phone and read the replies. I left her be and she came out around 9 pm but she just ran to a different hiding spot. This morning she was out for breakfast and only seems a little skiddish. It must've been terrifying though as the spot she chose to hide was just on the other side of the wall from the digger. It was a very bad spot:(

The other cats are all fine and the kittens didn't care at all.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Glad it ended well. I had an old dishwasher that allowed for someone to crawl under it and put bricks in front of it after one big hiding incident. I know exactly how you felt as you picture wiring being torn or the cat never coming out.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This cat is so different to what I'm used to. When I expect her to be fearful she's bold and when she's in a routine...just when I think it's predictable (like her not being downstairs around 8 am when the workmen showed) she does the opposite!

Last week I was setting up a trap for our other wild child and this cat (ex-feral as well) kept setting off the trap. This is the same cat that needs me to put down food and back away before she will eat. But that day I was trying to nudge her away and she keep advancing. This just does not happen! The cat I needed to trap saw the trap go off and that was it- it was game over. We'll try again in a few weeks.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL, cats!!
Every day I wonder why? Just why? Yesterday it was why there? Why go under there a dark space is good yes- but one right next to the source of noise and shaking- why? :doh2:But I also have time each day where I actively think how much I love them and how better off my life is with them. Even the colony cats have given so much in return. It's reciprocated just not in a human way.