Working on a feral cat taming seminar

Siamic

Avid Siamese Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently won some awards for my article on taming feral kittens - one which was awarded to me by the Trap King. Tell me - what would you like to see touched on about feral kittens, and what are some burning questions that you think need addressed? Sound off in the comments!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know about questions but I hope you can help to spread the word that even older kittens can be socialized. I get very frustrated that I still see many groups putting an age “limit” on kittens for a cut off time to attempt socializing. Seriously? I have socialized all ages and not just kittens! Congratulations on the awards. Anyone who encourages socializing and rescuing has my vote.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree about age limit....and some very reputable groups do espouse that. I recently brought two two year olds into the house and intend to bring one in eventually who must be at least three. Yes, I have had tiny kittens, but the vast majority were older.

Same with my dogs, not that it fits here, but I have only ever had one puppy in my life.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: From newborn to approximately eight years! Even the older cats can learn to play like a kitten. I get it that your focus is kittens but even at a year old, they are still kittenish. Over 100 here of all ages were socialized and 84 so far adopted. Working on a 51/2 month old now. Socializing extremely well. If I had followed the advice of some groups, I never would have tried to socialize many of the kittens that have been here. The proof is in the purring! Lol

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I once tried to save a abandoned newborn kitten(probably a day old). I had no experience, but tried to do everything by the book( keep the baby warm, bottle feed ever 2 or so hours, wipe bottom with warm cloth to stimulate bms, etc.) Despite round the clock care, the poor kitty died. I suspect it either was neglected right after birth or the momma fed it very little or couldn't feed it at all, so it didn't get colostrum at all or in adequate amount to survive. Could you go over the challenges of taking care of neonatal orphan kittens. Also, could you discuss Fading Kitten Disease. I am very troubled by that. Thank you kindly.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Jcatbird Jcatbird that given the proper approach, there is no upper limit for socializing a feral. Our youngest was two months old, while the oldest was 4 years old when she came inside. I admit that it probably is easier to tame a kitten, but the older ones are not beyond saving, too. Our 6 attest to that.