Wooo controversy - lol

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At the last show I attended, a man came around selling raffle tickets for the regions 2013 annual conference. It was close to the end of the day and I was out of American dollars since we were heading home straight away. I said all I had was a Canadian $5 and he said we'll take anything. So I gave it to him and forgot about it.

The next day up pops this message on the NW CFA Yahoo groups mailing list:

However... (you knew there had to be "something" else!) - no more taking
any Canadian money for this, and pawning it off on the regional treasurer!
The banks won't take it, unless we have at least $100 in that currency...

So to the exhibitor who's $5 Canadian "funny money" that I now possess...
I'd love it if you would come and get it back from me at the next show in
the upper northwest, and give me some "real" US money in exchange! :-)))
I decided to leave it alone, and would definitely NOT be searching her out at the next show to take back my "funny money" she could toss it for all I cared, lol. BUT, the list took offense and up popped 13 responses to how rude they thought it was and to the 'nice Canadian exhibitor who traveled so far to support our show, apologies'. My sister and I have been pretty amazed at the show of support over a five dollar mistake.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read all that and had no idea it was you.
Ginger wrote a nice response to you.
I do not know that lady that wrote the post but it was rude of her.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first reaction would be TO seek that person out and tell him "thank you for that nice note about me and the $5 Canadian money I gave you at the show"......then walk away!

IMO he should never have taken it in the first place - was stupid on his part.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we have a number of Canadians on the list. Some posted that among family and friends it's OK to poke fun at our currency, but when ours is called "funny money" and USD is "real" on a public list, that's going a bit too far. I am sensitive to things like that, but it did feel a bit like a slap in the face after I spent so much money and effort just to get to the show. My sister and I had to sleep in our truck the night we left because the last ferry to our island was cancelled! Not her fault I know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

My first reaction would be TO seek that person out and tell him "thank you for that nice note about me and the $5 Canadian money I gave you at the show"......then walk away!

IMO he should never have taken it in the first place - was stupid on his part.
She didn't take it, there were representatives selling the tickets and I guess they weren't briefed prior to volunteering their time to collect money. I heard him say to another group that they'll take ANYTHING, even pesos! he was just a fun, nice guy trying to do a good thing.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a much higher proportion of rude, tactless people on the cat show circuit than in the general population.

I have seen more than my fair share of cranky, curmudgeonly, stubborn crabby old crows at cat shows over the years. A good many of them are clerks, show managers and club members.

So, I'm not one bit suprised one of them publicly made an a$$ of themselves.

Glad you got support from the others on the list.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most international airports have currency exchange services. The rates are not the best, but they WILL change all manners of bills. Many major cities have currency exchange services as well. . .

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

There is a much higher proportion of rude, tactless people on the cat show circuit than in the general population.

I have seen more than my fair share of cranky, curmudgeonly, stubborn crabby old crows at cat shows over the years. A good many of them are clerks, show managers and club members.
You forgot judges

Sorry, couldn't resist.
However, I can at least say the vast majority at cat shows have been nice to me. It was the nice entry clerks at the Raleigh shows and the new exhibitor lady that had me coming back after my first show. It was unfortunate though that the first time I get another person to show their cat with me, that we had that experience with that judge. However, there were plenty of nice people there that made us feel better. As far as the judge was concerned, we were VERY honest on the suggestion sheet.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

We do not even get suggestion sheets.
It was just for that club. It was a new club and they specifically asked you to be honest on the sheet. So we were. But we (friend and I) weren't vengeful. Just a little willing to vent about that particular experience. Top Cat was testy in her ring, but that gives her no use to yell at an exhibitor. As for my companion, her cat was just crying because it was nervous and the judge says with an attitude "I'm not going to get her." Nice way to make a new exhibitor feel welcome.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that judge never comes out here.
Most the judges have been nice to me.
There have been master clerks that have had attitudes before.
The worse was this guy I have benched with before making threats about the Dec show.
He made the threats right in front of the judges and yelled so the whole show hall could here him.
He was clerking that day and is a nice person.
When it comes to this lady he gets very mad.

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

For "cat show circuit," you can insert "dog show circuit." That's why I got into obedience competition. When you are out training your dog every day, you don't have as much energy to be tactless, rude, and arrogant.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Starfish

It was just for that club. It was a new club and they specifically asked you to be honest on the sheet. So we were. But we (friend and I) weren't vengeful. Just a little willing to vent about that particular experience. Top Cat was testy in her ring, but that gives her no use to yell at an exhibitor. As for my companion, her cat was just crying because it was nervous and the judge says with an attitude "I'm not going to get her." Nice way to make a new exhibitor feel welcome.
The judge you are referring to is fairly new to judging. I knew her when she was still just a trainee. She is always in a nasty foul mood. It doesn't seem to make any difference if she is judging, clerking, or just exhibiting.

My personal opinion is that she should hide those feelings or not be out there in a public event as a judge, displaying that behavior. We long time exhibitors just put up with and say "well, we all know how she is" and laugh it off. However, the spectators paying to see a cat show shouldn't be witnessing that kind of behavior, not to mention the fact that she's turning off new exhibitors.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

The judge you are referring to is fairly new to judging. I knew her when she was still just a trainee. She is always in a nasty foul mood. It doesn't seem to make any difference if she is judging, clerking, or just exhibiting.

My personal opinion is that she should hide those feelings or not be out there in a public event as a judge, displaying that behavior. We long time exhibitors just put up with and say "well, we all know how she is" and laugh it off. However, the spectators paying to see a cat show shouldn't be witnessing that kind of behavior, not to mention the fact that she's turning off new exhibitors.
Yeah, I try not to get too upset over it, it was more frustrating to have a new exhibitor experience that kind of treatment. I wanted her to love cat shows as much as I do. With so many in the general population 'not that into cats' or just plain 'cat haters', it's hard to find someone who wants to come to this sort of thing in the first place. Now she took it better than I would if I were new and still had a good time, but unfortunately her cat did not. So at least we might have a future spectator. What we need though is more new exhibitors and we need to do whatever we can to attract them.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the associations do have a "review" board for complaints about judges, exhibitors, etc. I think I would write something up and send it in as a complaint. IMO some disciplinary action should be taken if this person is that way in the rings (especially being a judge now)!

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Most of the associations do have a "review" board for complaints about judges, exhibitors, etc. I think I would write something up and send it in as a complaint. IMO some disciplinary action should be taken if this person is that way in the rings (especially being a judge now)!
probably is late now since said show was over a month ago, but if it happens again, that probably would be a good idea. I rarely have a problem with judges. Most of them are very friendly and will talk to you about your cat if you ask. I take time to thank a judge for each final. In fact there is a new show next month in Jamestown where the cancelled show was supposed to be and Cleo's (one of Jacky's cats) breeder will be there as a judge for both the saturday AM and PM sessions (there will be three sessions total - the other on Sunday). He is the total opposite of what we are talking about - very approachable, will answer all questions and even give suggestions for future showing. I even told mom at a september show where I took Top Cat too is that if Ed couldn't work with him, no one could. He is great with even the testy cats. If everything works out, I will probably be there. That being said, it will be with a different cat.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me know if that judge comes out here.
Your shows are different then here.
We only see each judge once even at 3 day shows.

Kathryn is going to be a judge and she has helped me alot with Wrinkles colors even though she is still learning sphynx.
The TICA show in 2 weeks is her clubs show.
Some of the judges are very nice to me even when Cleo acted bad.
I dread running into the judge that was not nice to my husband when Cleo acted bad even though I am only showing Wrinkles.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Let me know if that judge comes out here.
Your shows are different then here.
We only see each judge once even at 3 day shows.

Kathryn is going to be a judge and she has helped me alot with Wrinkles colors even though she is still learning sphynx.
The TICA show in 2 weeks is her clubs show.
Some of the judges are very nice to me even when Cleo acted bad.
I dread running into the judge that was not nice to my husband when Cleo acted bad even though I am only showing Wrinkles.
Same with me as I will show another cat. But the judge is not going to be at the next two shows I plan to go to. We made the trip to Nial's house today and it was very fun and educational. He showed us many different bengals and show us what was great type wise and any weaknesses they had. We picked out Jack (the younger Jack - Part II) and we are going to get the house ready for him. Mom wants more time to fix up the garage to make things better for them. We are going to get a better heater for one. The other stuff (air conditioning, for one) we will get in late January/early February when we get more money. We have someone to do it for us. I just need to buy the supplies.