Won’t Stop Nipping!

gracescroggins

Rosie and Posie’s Momma and Foster Momma
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I are currently fostering a mama cat (Birdie) and her 3 kittens (4 weeks old now). We brought Birdie home just over 2 weeks before she gave birth.
Before she gave birth, she’d kind of nip at us if she wanted to be pet or brushed and over the past several days it has gotten worse. She wants you to pet/brush/play with her anytime you’re in the room with her and the kittens. Birdie is seriously the sweetest cat and I'm just trying to get her to stop this behavior, so as soon as her kittens are weaned and she gets spayed, she will be adoptable!

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The best way to stop the nipping is to withdraw attention as soon as she nips. Face her, tell her sternly “we do not bite!” and leave the room. You should also remind her ”no biting” whenever it appears she is getting ready to nip.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The best way to stop the nipping is to withdraw attention as soon as she nips. Face her, tell her sternly “we do not bite!” and leave the room. You should also remind her ”no biting” whenever it appears she is getting ready to nip.
This ^. My seven month old kitten has started getting a little fresh during petting and I want to nip that in the bud. This is where the manipulation of your tone of voice works well. I speak to her sweetly all the time but if she nips, I tell her "No, no, no, Maple" in a very stern voice and abruptly walk away. I also don't look back and make any eye contact. She's gotten better but I think it's an instinctual thing and it's probably difficult for her to control so I don't admonish her if it's just a tiny nip. But if I feel any claws that's a deal breaker.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The nipping might have gotten worse most recently because Birdie needs attention from something/someone other than the kittens. I would give her some attention the very first moment you walk into the room and see if giving her 'top priority' helps any. You can also try distraction toys if she likes to play, but that might pique the interest of the kittens at this point, and I truly think she wants to have some time where she is not being mama 24-7. If you do have to resort to stopping her because she still tries to nip, then pick one word or phrase and stick with it. Ideally, 'No' would be best. Be prepared to give her a treat if you find out she does stop for you.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
If it’s in a petting situation, I used to say “aiiee! oww!” in a very pained voice, then withdraw.
If it was in a play situation, I’d do the same thing, but after a minute or two, try redirecting to a toy.