Won't Eat What's Good for Him

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The short of it:
I have this pate that the veterinarian wants Dickon to eat. He won't. Dickon has always preferred shreds and the like over pate. Is there a little trick I can employ? Mix something with the pate? He never moves beyond the sniff. I once heard that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, but I would not attempt that.

The long of it:
Dickon is 4.5 years old. He has lost weight over the last year. Once upon a time, he was somewhat heavier than I would have preferred. He just spent five days in the hospital. Various blood levels have been brought back into range, but everything points to early-stage kidney failure. If Dickon were significantly older, then we could understand. I have this pate that is intended to improve kidney health. He won't eat it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
everything points to early-stage kidney failure. If Dickon were significantly older, then we could understand. I have this pate that is intended to improve kidney health.
Am I missing something regarding the issue and the food? It is kidney failure/disease, and a low phos pate style food?

Even if you aren't in the US, there might be something here that helps;
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Diet and Nutrition Overview

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - What You Need to Know First

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Purina NF is a prescription veterinary diet that some cats like better than the others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShereKhanDickon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dickon's prescribed food is Royal Canin Renal Support E. (Google.) It may not help, but it would make me feel better. Talking to Dickon has not proven fruitful.

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find that sprinkling dry food on canned food motivates my cats to eat the canned food. You could also try sprinkling something like catnip or tuna juice (the fluid in the tuna can) on it.

Have you ruled out toxins as a cause for kidney disease? The obvious hazards are antifreeze/brake fluid and lilies (the plants), but I am sure there are others. I have had some close calls involving my indoor/outdoor cats and antifreeze carelessly spilled on the ground by neighbors.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The short of it:
I have this pate that the veterinarian wants Dickon to eat. He won't. Dickon has always preferred shreds and the like over pate. Is there a little trick I can employ? Mix something with the pate? He never moves beyond the sniff. I once heard that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, but I would not attempt that.

The long of it:
Dickon is 4.5 years old. He has lost weight over the last year. Once upon a time, he was somewhat heavier than I would have preferred. He just spent five days in the hospital. Various blood levels have been brought back into range, but everything points to early-stage kidney failure. If Dickon were significantly older, then we could understand. I have this pate that is intended to improve kidney health. He won't eat it.
Does he have early stages for ckd? He is young so I am curious why vets came to that conclusion. Anyways my cat liked weruva steak frites which is shredded meat,low phosphorus. Like Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested, check out Tanya's website. Cats with ckd have trouble eating and need low phosphorus food

Best Cat Food For Kidney Disease [Low Phosphorus] in 2023 - Cats.com