Won't Eat, Nauseous? Had Surgery

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So after having to say goodbye to 2 of our felines, Freddy is again not well.

A few weeks back she started vomiting and I took her to the vet. She had an infection of some sort and we got antibiotics but she was also nauseous so I requested cerenia. She got better, her meal intake was almost normal.
Then last week, she started vomiting again and stopped eating. Took her to the vet on Tuesday.
Freddy had a lump in her intestines and they chose to operate on her to see what it all was. Turns out a big hairball with sticky poop. Her lymphnodes were also enlarged and her small intestine was thicker and inflamed. The vet took a sample of the nodes and thought it was a sort of parasite so she advised to deworm Freddy as well. They gave her long active antibiotics and cerenia. Freddy will not eat.....I syringe feed her a bit of convalescence 4 times a day. She sticks her fur out and hides. Right now she's under the table on a blanket.
She licked at a bit of Almo Nature for kittens but she will not take a bite. Nothing I put in front her seems to entice her to eat. She'll sniff at it and then leaves.
What more can I do? What if she doesn't start eating? I dread to think about that:bawling:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Is Freddy going to the bowl and then walking away, like she wants to eat but can't?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She does get enthousiastic and then looks and sniffs at the content and walks off

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just fed all the cats and Freddy sat in the sink and I offered 2 different kinds of wet food, but nothing:( She went and sat by the waterbowl, drank something and got her chin all wet. Then she sat with squinted face.

I fed her 30 mls of convalescence. She was fighting me a bit, she really did not want and she's now lying on the couch, cleaning herself off, syringe feeding can get messy if the cat keeps turning her head.

I have a feeling she might be in pain(I have painkiller lying around) and that she's too scared to eat because she might trow it back out. What to do?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she have a vet check soon? If she is not eating i would want to take her back in. Bless her heart, i will keep her in my thoughts. Hopefully she will eat and feel better soon! :grouphug: sending her hugs.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried Almo Nature for kittens, Whiskas, store brand(Albert Heijn) and she loves Sheba but even that won't go in.
She nibbled at the dry food and even went in with the feeding of the cats but then later she's back in her spot looking miserable. I syringe fed her again

If she won't improve I have to call the vet, but she was sure the problem was going to be fixed. Alas...

If Fred's still so depressed tomorrow I'll have to go back in

Jludwick78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My old lady kitty won’t eat either. I don’t have advice, just wanted to say I feel your pain and worry. Hope both our kitties pull through this! ♥

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think the vet can do anymore at the moment, so I gave her a painkiller(for cats) and will dedicate myself to syringe feeding her convalescence. If that will help her pull trough, I will do it:jump:.
The vet knows off this and hopefully little Fred will get stronger and start eating on her own

Last edited:

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I consulted a befriended vet and she believed the diagnosis was correct and that what I'm doing is best for Freddy now. I was having serious doubts about the diagnosis...
Tomorrow me and the kids are going camping in a rented house for 2 nights and Freddy will too. My husband is not capable of syringe feeding her and this way I can also just leave food out all day. She seems happy, climbs on my lap and sometimes even eats a bit(3 bits) of dry food.
Fingers crossed she'll pull through

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The saga continues...

Went camping in a cottage and took Freddy with me to keep syringe feeding her. She started throwing up again and got diarrea.
I went to a different vet, more an animal hospital, to make sure Freddy would get every chance. She had a massive infection in the intestine and I took home an arsenal in medication, Emeprid, Finidiar and antibiotics. I still have cerenia and I had to give that too.
Freddy also has to go on a special diet because this might be something she'll carry with her forever...so every virus, every infection,every bit of stress is going to set her off.
I removed her from the large group downstairs and moved her upstairs for now. She had no real ties with anyone so I'm hoping this will at least relieve some stress and she might even befriend Small Fry and Kali

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd share an update.

Freddy is doing well, she's not eating her dry food like she should but like Small Fry she gets wet food 4 times a day now and that's gone in no time. She has not thrown up since, she's very affectionate......
Only downside? She's started drooling when she crawls on my lap and cuddles me. I'm soaked each time I cuddle her....oh well
She's alive and eating and most important, not throwing up