Won’t each much suddenly

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I adopted a cat a few weeks ago and everything has been going great so far. He’s a 4 month old tuxedo. I changed to a new wet food a few days ago and he was fine with that. As of yesterday, he will barely eat it now. Just a few bites. He’s also very clingy. He usually runs around like mad during the night, but slept very close to me all night. Is this cause for concern and should he go to the vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will add that he uses the litterbox as normal, has been eating his dry food. My cat before him (first and only) passed away at 7 years old very suddenly l, so I’m a little hyper sensitive to anything that could be wrong.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if he has been eating his dry food, that is good. I would change his wet food o something like Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers in chicken or turkey and see if he will eat that. It is well-liked by most. It is concerning that his behavior has changed too, if he continues to refuse food and clinging to you, I would bring him in. Is he due for vaccinations or anything soon? Something may have scared him, or he may even be getting used to your routine and will sleep at night now. Just monitor his litter box habits and his eating and drinking. As long as he is doing well on those three, i would continue to monitor. If he starts hiding, THAT is a sign of illness.

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if he has been eating his dry food, that is good. I would change his wet food o something like Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers in chicken or turkey and see if he will eat that. It is well-liked by most. It is concerning that his behavior has changed too, if he continues to refuse food and clinging to you, I would bring him in. Is he due for vaccinations or anything soon? Something may have scared him, or he may even be getting used to your routine and will sleep at night now. Just monitor his litter box habits and his eating and drinking. As long as he is doing well on those three, i would continue to monitor. If he starts hiding, THAT is a sign of illness.
Thank you. He’s not hiding or anything like that and is up to date on all vaccinations. He came from a foster home that was using Wellness kitten food and I recently changed to Blue Wilderness because it was more cost effective and has good ingredients. I bought 2 cases because he seemed to like it at first. If it continues, I’ll try the gravy lovers.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may still go back to it. As you know cats can be fickle. Kittens are usually hungry all the time though and will eat almost anything, so keep an eye on it. Maybe he is a dry food eater. My cats got diarrhea on Blue Wilderness, but I'm sure it was just the change in diet. He might have not felt well after eating it. I give mine Purina Pro plan now, in dry, they do well on it.

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He may still go back to it. As you know cats can be fickle. Kittens are usually hungry all the time though and will eat almost anything, so keep an eye on it. Maybe he is a dry food eater. My cats got diarrhea on Blue Wilderness, but I'm sure it was just the change in diet. He might have not felt well after eating it. I give mine Purina Pro plan now, in dry, they do well on it.
He was still sleeping at 8:00am after sleeping all night which he has never done. He’s very active waking me up throughout the night, but could be getting used to my schedule. My instincts are telling me something is up, but I may wait until after the weekend to talk to the vet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go with your instincts, you know him best. I think you can wait until Monday unless he suddenly gets worse. It could be just a virus and he feels down.

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Go with your instincts, you know him best. I think you can wait until Monday unless he suddenly gets worse. It could be just a virus and he feels down.
Update: He refused to eat all day which had me very worried. I bought a couple cans of his original food (Wellness) and he ate it within seconds. I guess I can’t change his food! I also bought a few cans of fancy feast gravy lovers as you suggested and we’ll try that at some point.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to hear he devoured the Wellness, his original food. 👍 That's definitely a good sign and he should have more energy now.
BTW, what's his name and do you have a pic of him?