Wondering when the kittiens are going to make their debut...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alright! Day 4 weigh-in

Zeus (1)- 157.1g ---> +21.9g for a total gain of 46.4 grams so far!

Hercules (3)- 138.6g ---> +22.2g for a total gain of 50.8 grams so far!

Ares (4)- 152.2g ---> +12.8g for a total gain of 50 grams so far!

Aphrodite (5)- 137.4g ---> +18.9g for a total gain of 43.3 grams so far!

Athena (6)- 155.6g ---> +21.9g for a total gain of 54.7 grams so far! [little fatty]

As you can see, little Hercules is no longer the smallest! They are all gaining weight amazingly and doing very well cuddled up next to mama most of the time. She's an amazing mommy!

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good names, just hope none of the kittens 'change sex'!  I never named foster kittens as would have made much harder say goodbye to them.  The rescue I looked after the last lot for gave them names for homing purposes, and used the photos I sent of them which were rather cute, and rather good - of course I am biased!

Their weight gains are on course as well, they should pretty much double their birth weights in the first week.

Another few days and their eyes might be starting to open.  I love how they seem to 'unzip' from the inside corner to the outside.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always name my fosters and I actually had a Greek God themed litter once as well! Mama was Persephone and babies were Hermes, Hera, Ares & Apollo.

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Had to post this picture of Ares and Zeus napping together earlier today!

nikkigrant99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
awww thats so cute!!!! sasha still not had hers so goin to call vet on mon to see what they say, kittens still kicking and sasha happy and eating fine. think babies are just to comfy lol

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
awww im sorry nikkigrant! hopefully they come SOON!!!!

Day 5 weigh-in

Zeus- 179.5g ---> +22.4g

Hercules- 155.1g ---> +15.5g

Ares- 174g ---> +21.8g

Aphrodite- 154.5g ---> +17.1g

Athena- 165.6g ---> +10g

nikkigrant99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wow they gaining really well!!! post more pics :D to give me my kitten fix, since sasha isnt being very obliging with that one lol. im glad all the kittens are doing so great. hows mummy xx

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll post some new pictures today after I weigh them :)

Question, I have started looking for new forever homes for the little babes already. I put in the post I would NOT let them leave their momma until they were at least 10 weeks old. I got a reply from a woman who is interested in a male and female, promises she will spay/neuter them, etc. But she also says "You should really let them go at 6-8 weeks though, they lose their 'little kitten cuteness' after that" and I told her I would not be letting them go that early but if she was still interested I would send her pictures.

Basically, i'm just wondering about red flags to look for when adopting out kittens to random people. Luckily, with momma's and litters i've rescued before- all of the homes they went to were with people I knew. However, that doesn't seem like it's going to work out this time.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is an ABSOLUTE red flag. Kittens grow up. They grow up quickly, and if she has concerns about them "losing their kitten cuteness" that concerns me. I just recently had to deny someone's application who has a horrid habit of rehoming pets when they are no longer convenient, and she's now absolutely shocked that I won't adopt to her. Most people will talk about past pets and why they needed to "get rid of them" as long as you ask, like they want some kind of justification!
I would get their opinion on declawing as well. I could never say anything in regards to that when fostering for the shelter, but Cat Rescue Maritimes has a no declawing rule, so now I can tell people to shove it, woohoo!
(I don't really, I just educate them nicely and if they still won't change their mind and remain ignorant, I deny the adoption.)

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is an ABSOLUTE red flag. Kittens grow up. They grow up quickly, and if she has concerns about them "losing their kitten cuteness" that concerns me. I just recently had to deny someone's application who has a horrid habit of rehoming pets when they are no longer convenient, and she's now absolutely shocked that I won't adopt to her. Most people will talk about past pets and why they needed to "get rid of them" as long as you ask, like they want some kind of justification!
I would get their opinion on declawing as well. I could never say anything in regards to that when fostering for the shelter, but Cat Rescue Maritimes has a no declawing rule, so now I can tell people to shove it, woohoo!
(I don't really, I just educate them nicely and if they still won't change their mind and remain ignorant, I deny the adoption.)
I agree.  Just keep talking to them and asking questions about previous pets... People aren't as clever as we think we are, we tell on ourselves. And if anything strikes you as odd or off or unacceptable you just say "Well, thank you.  I have your information down.  I'll get back to you if anyone decides they don't want their kitten."  And hang up.  Don't give them time to answer you back.   I asked my vet to put up advertisements and he does and if anyone asks him questions and he thinks they are a good candidate, he gives the number out. 

Ask them how they feel about cats being indoors exclusively.

Ask them how they feel about declawing

Ask them how they feel about vet care and what are the situations they take the kitty in to the vet.

Ask them how old their last pet was before it died or they got rid of it

Ask them if they've ever had to rehome a pet and why

Ask them about a common kitty problem (ex: litter box issues or jumping on counters) how would they handle it (anyone that would punish, spank or yell at a kitty is unacceptable)

Ask them if they have small children (small children and kittens are not a good mixture most of the time but a lot of times this is the reason they want a kitten- these people are a NO)

If they have kids that are older and you think might be OK ask them about their kids past experiences with pets... Was it a happy one if not why not

Ask them if they'd be OK with you calling THEIR vet to make sure you actually have a vet relationship established

Ask them if they'd be OK with you doing a home visit

Ask them if they'd be OK signing a contract

In the contract and clearly state to them that if at any time, they cannot or do not want the kitty, they not rehome them or put them in a shelter or kick them out someplace, but return to you. 

At end of the day, a contract is only a piece of paper to most people but those that are good candidates will honor it.

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's expressing interest in taking both Zeus and Athena, and has also offered to pay a $5.00 each rehoming fee, and wait until I want them to leave their momma. I'll continue talking to her and asking questions, but she sounds pretty responsible and promising, so i'm a bit excited at the prospect of two going to a forever home together.

Be posting pictures here in a bit. I took weights earlier but am at work and have them recorded at home, i'll post those later.

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some new pics of the babes! 5 days old today!

Zeus:

Hercules:

Ares:

Aphrodite:

Athena:

lindz2785

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh-EM-Geeeeeeeeeeee! I am so in love with Ares!!!!!! He's got such great coloring! But really, they're all just scrumptious.

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Keeping my fingers crossed for Ares! My Aunt Donna wants him BADLY and is just trying to convince my uncle!
I'd be so soooooo happy if he went to them they are AMAZING people.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's expressing interest in taking both Zeus and Athena, and has also offered to pay a $5.00 each rehoming fee, and wait until I want them to leave their momma. I'll continue talking to her and asking questions, but she sounds pretty responsible and promising, so i'm a bit excited at the prospect of two going to a forever home together.

Be posting pictures here in a bit. I took weights earlier but am at work and have them recorded at home, i'll post those later.
The shelter I foster for requires us to ask pretty much all the same questions P3 listed, as well as 3 non-family references. Because of our high volume we let kittens go at 8 weeks BUT ONLY IF they are also 2 pounds. In most States in the US (not sure where you are) it is Illegal to re-home kittens prior to 8 weeks. I know she promises to spay and neuter them but I would find out if she would be willing to work something out with you. Like, As soon as they reach 8 weeks and 2 pounds you will take them to her vet for de-worming, shots and fixing (talk to the vet so they know she is footing the bill- most are okay if they know the person). She can pick them up from the vet office or you can bring them home for a few more days and then give them to her. I think a lot of people mean to "get it done" but they get busy and don't realize how quickly kittens come into sexual maturity. And, that at that point they no longer recognize the sibling bond and will mate with each other. 

If your comfortable enough to do it, I let future families come visit as often as we can work out. I have two 7-week olds right now and their forever family has been coming at least once a week since they were 3 weeks. It's fun for them to watch them grow and makes the transition easier. 

If she is adamant to have them before 8 weeks or is unwilling to allow you to be involved in the spay/neuter process it would be an absolute no-go for me. 

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice. I will definitely be asking her more and more questions over the weeks as we talk. She's moving back to Northern California from Southern California [apparently her house was being broken into multiple times, etc, and she couldnt take the stress so she's moving back home] in a few days and will be taking about 3 weeks to get settled she said, and after that I will try to set-up some face to face time to talk things over as well as to get her socialized to the babies :) She said she has 2 small dogs, one 4 lb and one 7 lb who are accustomed to having a cat around [she had two cats before when she moved down South but couldn't have one in the place she was moving to so they now live with her daughter in Merced]. No small children, all of her children are grown and out of the house. And she never said anything after I told her I wouldn't allow them to leave earlier so I assume she's fine with that as she expressed more interest and pointed out the two she wanted. I'll also be asking her to sign a spay/neuter contract.