Wondering what color my kitten is

Uhuher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
I’m new here, so please forgive me for any rules I might be breaking or otherwise not adhering to. I thought this would be the best place to ask, however. We are getting a new kitten in a few days, he is a minuet. He’s been described as a silver shaded tabby. I’m not sure what he will end up looking like. I don’t know if his coat should lighten or darken (or stay the same) or what his eye color may be. I know his dad is a flame point Himalayan and mom is a chocolate silver torbie with white who is odd eyed. Here are a couple of photos of him at 5.5 weeks old. Any ideas? We’re very excited to meet him and love him already. It’s just been a guessing game what he will end up looking like as I’ve not been able to find any shaded silvers this dark. Does anyone have any photos of what he may look like as an adult, color-wise? Thanks so much for any information you can provide! 😊

Attachments

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Others here are quite cat experts and may be able to assist you.

Just dropping by to say what an overload of adorableness that kitty of yours is! Goodness! I am smitten! :redheartpump::hearthrob::loveeyes:

BTW, welcome to TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Uhuher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Just dropping by to say what an overload of adorableness that kitty of yours is! Goodness! I am smitten! :redheartpump::hearthrob::loveeyes:

BTW, welcome to TCS!
Thank you so much, he sure is the heart stealer, isn’t he? Thank you for the kind welcome! What a great site -I just found it this evening. Have been reading all kinds of interesting things here, and seeing all kinds of beautiful kitties, of course! 🥰😺

BTW, welcome to TCS!

BTW, welcome to TCS!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure where the breeder got silver shaded from. Looks like black silver to me. Likely not high silver, so I wouldn't expect a large amount of colour change, but your kitten should theoretically get lighter in colour (or, rather, gain more contrast on the body) as the tabby pattern becomes more separated, so more of the base colour under the tabby will be visible. Unless the flame point sire has shaded in his lines (i.e. has the wide banding gene, himself) the pairing can't produce shaded at all.

ETA: Black silver shaded is very light in colour, with only the very tips of the hair having colour. Below is Lionstone Sissi, a black silver shaded Double Grand Champion Persian, from here Cattery Cherryloves - Catbreeder Persians from Styria / Austria
Even in pet quality cats, there should be a noticeable difference between silver tabby and silver shaded. Shaded simply can't get that dark, imo.

1638357855974.png

Would expect your kitten to look more like this black silver tabby Persian as an adult, though the tabby pattern may be different -- hard to judge what kind of tabby your kitten is from the provided photos.

1638358809235.png

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Uhuher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  1. Not sure where the breeder got silver shaded from. Looks like black silver to me. Likely not high silver, so I wouldn't expect a large amount of colour change, but your kitten should theoretically get lighter in colour (or, rather, gain more contrast on the body) as the tabby pattern becomes more separated, so more of the base colour under the tabby will be visible. Unless the flame point sire has shaded in his lines (i.e. has the wide banding gene, himself) the pairing can't produce shaded at all.

ETA: Black silver shaded is very light in colour, with only the very tips of the hair having colour. Below is Lionstone Sissi, a black silver shaded Double Grand Champion Persian, from here Cattery Cherryloves - Catbreeder Persians from Styria / Austria
    Even in pet quality cats, there should be a noticeable difference between silver tabby and silver shaded. Shaded simply can't get that dark, imo.

View attachment 403028
    Would expect your kitten to look more like this black silver tabby Persian as an adult, though the tabby pattern may be different -- hard to judge what kind of tabby your kitten is from the provided photos.

View attachment 403029
    Thank you so much for your detailed response! So interesting to read what genes can produce specific colors or patterns, etc. The two examples in the photos are both beautiful, and I will be excited to watch our kitten grow and see how much (if at all) he changes. I went back and looked and his dad is a flame lynx point, actually. I’m not sure beyond that what he may be able to produce because I don’t know what genes he carries. Thanks again for your detailed answer! 😊