Wondering what breed my cat looks like, just curious on others opinions

Tmthomas7373

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted her from a shelter so I know she’s definitely mixed and classified as a domestic shorthair. I’m just wondering what you think she looks like out of curiosity

Attachments

Tiggie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya! First off, gorgeous and cute kitty ☺ I was actually just visiting a shelter, and they mentioned they label ALL of their cats as “domestic long, medium, or shorthair” even if they look spot on like a Maine Coon, Abyssinian, etc. because of potential legality (at least here in New Hampshire). That being said, I know that Havana Brown cats are often a mix between Siamese and some other black kitty. Typically though, the Siamese genes are very dominant, and these black cats have the pronounced nose/mouth, and loooong ears. Still, each kitty is almost like a “grab bag” of genes (unless bought by a breeder lol, and even then), so some look more like a traditional domestic shorthair. I’m just speculating though :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She looks as a typical black domestic short hair. These green eyes are extra nice, of course. Alike two jewels on the big jewel which is the cat herself.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would describe your cat as a black domestic shorthair. She is a beautiful cat! Most cats are not any particular breed, and are also not "mixes" of breeds.

Tiggie Tiggie I am not sure what you are getting at with your comments about the Havana Brown breed. The Havana Brown is chocolate in color, not black, and is a separate breed with its own distinct bloodlines since the 1950s, not a combination of a Siamese with a black cat. Were you thinking of the Havana Brown outcrossing program, where they are allowed to use an Oriental, Siamese, or black domestic shorthair as an outcross? This is a very limited part of the Havana Brown breeding program, and only to keep the bloodlines from becoming too inbred.

Tiggie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would describe your cat as a black domestic shorthair. She is a beautiful cat! Most cats are not any particular breed, and are also not "mixes" of breeds.

Tiggie Tiggie I am not sure what you are getting at with your comments about the Havana Brown breed. The Havana Brown is chocolate in color, not black, and is a separate breed with its own distinct bloodlines since the 1950s, not a combination of a Siamese with a black cat. Were you thinking of the Havana Brown outcrossing program, where they are allowed to use an Oriental, Siamese, or black domestic shorthair as an outcross? This is a very limited part of the Havana Brown breeding program, and only to keep the bloodlines from becoming too inbred.
Yes actually! I was thinking of the outcrossing program! Thank you for refreshing my memory :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the Havana Brown outcrossing program, they are allowed to use an outcross from a specified list, but in each generation the non-outcross parent must be a fully registered Havana Brown. So, they would never cross a Siamese and a black cat as part of that program. Only a few cats are part of the outcrossing program, and those breeders are very careful about placement of the kittens, you wouldn't find one in a shelter.