wondering what breed my cat is

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. Your kitty is beautiful and she is an orange and white Classic Tabby. They have those swirls on their sides. You will love this site. You will find helpful info about everything cat here. The people are wonderful and ready to help or just talk kitty talk. Enjoy your precious kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladyadika1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has those tufts on her ears, though.... Is she maybe mixed with something else? She was a rescue, so we don't have any records for her.

donderdeer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your kitty is a gorgeous orange classic tabby, no white. "with white" is described as having pure white markings with solid edges (this does not count a light colored muzzle unless there is actually a marking there)

Tabby is a color pattern found in many breeds and is not actually a breed itself. In fact, most breeds have a tabby color variation. It is popular culture to refer to "any old street cat" as a "tabby", but that's more slang than actual terminology.

She's not any specific breed I can personally put a pin on, but I'd wager a good guess he's got domestic shorthair in her blood. Hard to tell from the photo, is she polydactyl?

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is not an orange tabby.
She IS gorgeous though.
She is a Classic Torbie (tabby/tortoiseshell) meaning she has brown tabby and also orange tabby coloring. Classic refers to the swirl pattern.
As for breed she would be called a Domestic Shorthair.
:-)

donderdeer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is not an orange tabby.
She IS gorgeous though.
She is a Classic Torbie (tabby/tortoiseshell) meaning she has brown tabby and also orange tabby coloring. Classic refers to the swirl pattern.
As for breed she would be called a Domestic Shorthair.
:-)
Just curious to where you're seeing the tortoiseshell mixed in there? She seems pretty solid red classic tabby to me.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with KKoerner. She is most definitely a domestic short hair with the classic torbie coat pattern (classic referring to the swirly pattern on her side).

She definitely has quite a bit of brown on her along with the red.

She's beautiful!

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just curious to where you're seeing the tortoiseshell mixed in there? She seems pretty solid red classic tabby to me.
The tortoiseshell part of a torbie is brown tabby/orange tabby instead of black and orange. She has a lot of brown in her coat. If you look at the second picture it is pretty obvious, as the black and brown is darker on her face, but even on her side you can see the brown....

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

She has those tufts on her ears, though.... Is she maybe mixed with something else? She was a rescue, so we don't have any records for her.
Welcome to the both of you!  

I agree with @KKoerner  She is very beautiful. What a sweet face! She looks very happy in her new home! 

Last edited:

donderdeer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The tortoiseshell part of a torbie is brown tabby/orange tabby instead of black and orange. She has a lot of brown in her coat. If you look at the second picture it is pretty obvious, as the black and brown is darker on her face, but even on her side you can see the brown....
In order for a cat to be a torbie, it must also be technically tortoiseshell. I'm not seeing any indication this cat has tortoiseshell with its classic tabby. The shade of red can vary on any red cat - and may sometimes even appear to be brown or rust, but that doesn't mean the cat has tortoiseshell.

Photographs are notoriously deceptive though so who knows? Maybe this is a pure white Persian and we're both wrong. :p

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In order for a cat to be a torbie, it must also be technically tortoiseshell. I'm not seeing any indication this cat has tortoiseshell with its classic tabby. The shade of red can vary on any red cat - and may sometimes even appear to be brown or rust, but that doesn't mean the cat has tortoiseshell.

Photographs are notoriously deceptive though so who knows? Maybe this is a pure white Persian and we're both wrong. :p
I'm not sure why you keep coming back to this post to argue? And obviously she is not a pure white persian, so the sarcasm is not necessary.
Can you really not see the black tabby markings on her face and chest? Just because her side is lighter, doesn't mean anything. I've seen brown tabbies that had no black as they ALSO come in various shades, as does ANY tabby as you suggested of the red tabbies. In her case, she has brown and orange on her sides, but the real indication that she is a torbie and that it is not a trick of the lighting or photo, is the BLACK and dark brown on her face and chest. The dark stripe on her face is even visible in the first photo.....

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Domestic Shorthair cats are really what we would call a Mutt in the dog world. They are just random bred, no affiliated breed. In cats, the breeds came from these random bred cats... mutations and various traits show up in stray populations even. Some of these appealed to certain people, were then picked out and bred for to create what breeds we now have. It's the opposite of dogs, where we have breeds and all the Mutts are just mixes of various breeds. I guess with cats you could say that breeds were initially just pretty "mutts" though they have been selectively bred for generations now so they breed true to their created type.
Anyhow, because of this, we see a lot of traits that appear to come from a specific breed. Head shapes, eye color, ear tufts... so you can imagine that while she is no specific breed, she could have ancestry that led to a breed being created. In other words, her ancestors may have had ear tufts and became part of a breeding program to create a Maine Coon, for example.
She is special either way and very beautiful.

vasilicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the only color on its head? Or does it have color on its tail too?
It is hard to tell if that spot on its head is brown tabby or solid black from the picture, but if it also has color on its tail, it would be considered a Van Pattern (black or brown tabby) Domestic Shorthair. Do you have any better pictures?

Thank you for your reply :) no, she does not have any other colored spots. The spot on her head is kind of blackish, definitely not brown. She is only 2 months old and very fast moving and energetic. I was wondering if she is that type of breed that is usually like this or all 2 months old kittens are this energetic?

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it's just solid black then she is a Black and white Domestic Shorhair. It can also be called Black Bicolor which means "and white"

Most 2 month old kittens are full of energy! They are usually very silly, very fast, and love to play. :-)

donderdeer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure why you are getting aggressive. I wasn't attempting to jibe at you, simply trying to agree to disagree. The markings on the face do not look black to me, they look rust. I also see no black on the tail.

Again, that's just my opinion. The thing is though, is that your word is also just your opinion. Neither of us are actually looking at this cat in person in clear lighting.

I apologize if you became upset, but I was partaking in cordial discussion.

-------

Anyways, sorry OP. Your cat is pretty, whatever it is.