Wondering if you can get a mix?

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I’m wondering if it’s possible to get a British short hair Siamese mix. And what would the cat look like. Would they look more like the bsh with the head etc or more like a domestic cat. Would they even have the points etc? I’ve never heard or seen one before.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume somebody in the world is mixing the 2 breeds. I wouldn't know how to find them though.

It appears that some British Shorthairs are colorpointed: The Colourpoint British Shorthair Cat | Bombadillo Kittens (note: I'm not endorsing this breeder, just using them as an example of the availability.)

If you just want the look it would probably be better (and easier) to find a colorpoint British Shorthair breeder than to look for a mix.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is not a combination that breeders are producing, since the body type, head type, and coat is so different between these two breeds. However, the recessive colorpoint gene, responsible for the pointed ("Siamese") color pattern, does exist in some lines of British Shorthairs, and is allowed in some registries including GCCF. Is that what you were thinking of?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes that’s helps. I’ve always liked a British short hair with points I saw a few pictures before of pointed bsh and I just assumed they possibly came from Siamese mix. And so if a bsh isn’t carrying the point gene. Then it would be just a domestic looking cat.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Persian outcrosses were used for many years in the British Shorthair breed, and some of these Persian outcrosses had Himalayan ancestry. That's probably the most important source of the recessive colorpoint gene in the British Shorthair breed. A few Siamese were also used as outcrosses in many breeds in the years immediately following WWII, simply because so many cats had died or were lost during wartime.

Today, however, there's really no reason to use Siamese as outcrosses for this breed. The colorpoint gene is already present in the breed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s really interesting to know. And Thank you for the information on there background.