Wondering If Maine Coon Mix?

Weeze1219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering if my Bailey was a Maine Coon mix, as that is my favorite breed and he resembles one. DNA test results were Russian Blue/Maine Coon. I don't see the RB at all unless it's just in body structure/musculature.

He's now 2 years old and 12 lbs, so certainly doesn't have the large size of a pure bred MC.
He also doesn't have the Lynx ear tips, though the left one was snipped at neutering anyway.

Just thought I'd share for anyone else out there wondering the same thing, since I have confirmation (not 100% sure, as cat DNA testing is still in its infancy compared to human & dog).

IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0506.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
What a good-looking, handsome cat!!!
I had a Maine coon mix, but she had longer body fur. She had a very confident personality LOL!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is actually no way to know for sure unless you know the parents were specific purebreds. There is currently no DNA test for cat breeds like they have for dogs. The DNA tests they have for cats (like Basepaws for example) only tell you what breeds your cat is most similar to, not what breeds it actually is, likely because most are not any specific breed at all. So basically you have conformation that your cat is most similar to a Russian blue and Maine coon, not conformation that it actually has either of those breeds in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Weeze1219

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know with a shelter cat you can only assume for sure it's a moggie, but interesting info nonetheless.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Handsome boy! He looks like my Bourbon (the one in my avatar).

Maine Coon males have average weight of around 6 to 9 kgs, (some much heavier) while females are a lot lighter at around 3 - 6 kgs. My Bourbon, who I suspected before also as a maine coon mix, is at 5+ kgs. She is almost 3 years old, but she is not that huge in size, so I accepted the fact she is a DLH. :)