Wondering If I Should???

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So George and Louie have lived with us since March 25th. They are 7.5-8 months old and have settled into our home so nicely. They are beautiful kitties and are so easy to live with.
When we were deciding about whether or not to get a kitten we discussed adopting versus purchasing a purebred kitten. We ultimately decided to adopt in part because we had no idea whether our 3 dogs would tolerate a cat. Our concerns were pointless as both the kittens and the dogs get on wonderfully.
I love the look of a Ragdoll cat especially the blue mitted and blue bi-color. I decided not to go with a longer haired cat because of concern about butt baths. I dealt with that some when our Havanese were young and I hadn’t quite sorted out their diet.
However, I would still love to have one! Would it be utter madness to bring a Ragdoll kitten into the family? Do you think the kitten brothers would accept a new kitten - maybe a female Ragdoll kitten? I think the dogs would be fine based on how easily they accepted the boy kittens. Would it be asking for trouble? Would there be fights given the gentle nature of Ragdoll cats? Would there likely be litter box issues? Any other heads up issues or concerns I should consider if I decide to move forward? Would a male or female Ragdoll be the best choice to add to the group? Are there particular health or behavioral quirks I would need to be aware of as far as Ragdoll cats are concerned? What about health issues? I would love input? George and Louie get along so well I would hate to disrupt things but at 61 years old I think I wouldn’t want to wait too much longer to acquire a kitten since I would expect it to live at least 15 years as most of our prior cats have lived to between 15-20 years. Thoughts?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think around now would be the perfect time to introduce a new cat to the family! While George and Louis are still younger cats, they will tend to be more accepting to a newcomer. Ragdoll cats are more relaxed, but are active as kittens, of course! They are also a giant breed, so they can get up to 20+ lbs, and don’t stop growing until they are around four years old. You will likely need to add another litterbox (or two), as the general rule of thumb is one litterbox per cat plus one. When you bring your new kitten home, introduce them to the house one room at a time, and slowly introduce them to the other furry family members. These articles provide some great advice on that front:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

As far as health issues go, Ragdolls are prone to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, so be sure your breeder screens for that. The best place to meet reputable breeders is at cat shows. I’ll attach links to the CFA and TICA show schedules:

Show Calendar

Cat Shows - Official TICA Show Calendar

Please do keep us updated! And post pictures if you do decide to get a kitten! :catlove: