Wondering (for Fun) What Color Kittens My Queen Will Be Delivering

Shaught1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kittys:
~•~Jack is my male, black and white.

~•~Gwen is my Queen, white and gray with what looks like some stripes in the gray.
She is so close to delievery, its only days away. Ive been wondering what possible colors these 2 lil loves could produce. :) so to pass the time
20170530_041659.jpg
20170514_181036.jpg
20170530_041543.jpg
IMG_20170530_1.jpg
20170530_041735.png
till my grandkittys get here, i wana hear other people guesses as well!

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fur colour is carried on the X chromosome, boys get their mother's colour, girls get both (which is why tortoiseshell cats are almost always female). There are two colours-black and red, and all other colours are caused by other genes interacting with their fur colour. These genes can be passed on by either parent.

Both cats carry the black gene-grey/blue is a dilute black. Dilute is a recessive gene, they must receive a copy from either parent to be grey. If the male cat had a parent who was dilute, 3/4 of the kittens will likely be grey, but if the male cat didn't, all of the kittens in the litter will be black (but be carriers of the gene).

Both cats have white on them. The amount of white each kitten will get depends on how many copies of the gene they get. If they get 0, theyre solid coloured, if they get 1 they will be 1-49% white, if they get 2, they will be 50-100% white.

The male looks to have one, female two. This means that half the kittens will be mostly white with some black bits, and the other half will be mostly black with some white bits.

The female looks to have some faint tabby stripes, so most of the kittens will to, both male and female.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They will tend to looks as parents, here black and white tuxedo. Depending on if papa carries the dilutation gene or not.

Mommas spots are probably phantom spots, but she is possibly a spotted tabby for real. If so, half of the kittens will be spotted tabbies - with black spots and stripes yes.
Pity it probably wont be visible on them, not on the white parts whom are concealing what is beneath, and probably not on solid black either...
I hope Im wrong, and they are clearly seen as spotted tabbies.

As both cats are friends, the male is no real danger for the kittens. He wont hurt them by purpose. And will defend them against outer dangers. But if he is one of the adult cats whom is afraid for kittens, he may hurt them by accident, a swipe too much...
So look out and supervise the first occasion he meets the kittens.
But chances are big he will help momma with caretaking, directly or soon enough.

There is another danger thought - she may be preg anew already one week after delivery, and onward....
So if you arent wanting more breeding, the best is to neuter him asap.

But if momma shows she doesnt wants him nearby when delivery comes, obey her and separate them, of course.
If she shows she wants him near, you can calmly do so.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also the male will not wait at all to get her pregnant again right away so please please seperate him oncec she gives birth. Great time to get him neutered in the meantime!! And give momma time alone with the newborn babies until she can be spayed when the kittens are old enough.