Wondering about what breed/mix Casey may be?

jescow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been around cats most of my life, growing up both my sister and mother loved cats, however I've always been a dog person. Don't get me wrong I love my cats and considering I have four cats and only one dog they are a huge part of my life. Last June my 13 going on 14 year old passed away, I had no intentions of getting another cat so soon but in August my brother told me he was looking to adopt a kitten and I made the mistake of tagging along when he went to one of our local shelters. Long story short we both ended up walking out of the shelter with tiny black kittens from separate litters that had been brought in over the summer.

My question is about my kitten, well now going on cat, Casey. I didn't realize until we were on the way home from the shelter that he wasn't exactly a pure black cat, he has stripes/spots throughout his coat and tail that seems to have gotten a bit more defined and the color of his coat around them has lightened as he's grownup. I don't know much about cat breeds and I'm sure he's not a purebred cat but I was wondering if anyone here can give any guesses to what he might be mixed with. I've never seen another black cat with stripes/spots so I looked through a cat book and thought that he kind of looked like an Egyptian Mau but like I said I really don't know much when it comes to cat breeds.

Some of these aren't the greatest pictures of Casey but they show his coat a bit better then some of the nicer ones, although some do make him look browner then he actually is.

His first day home:

Kitten pic:

A couple months later:

With his dog:

Up:

He really isn't so chunky, not quite sure what happened in this pic:

Nice picture of his back/side:

In the end it really makes no difference to me if he's some sort of mix or a DSH. He will always be my little guy who makes a really odd whining sound when he's happy or wants attention from the other cats, who sticks his whole lower jaw into the water dish when he drinks leaving his chin soaking wet every time, and who loves my dog more then he loves me. He really is something...

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You will have better answers coming along. It has to do with coat color genetics. My Magic is black with tabby striped. I call him my black tabby! BTW gorgeous photos of your baby!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nice story. You had pity with that ugly duckling whom you knew probably nobody would take. And ended with a beautiful swan.

The story is no worse as he is friend of both big hairy dogs and also some mouse.

No, I cant quess what look alike Casey is. I dont know the breeds wide and deep enough. But he is gorgious.

Try perhaps to contact also the shelter. If they know how the siblings are now as almost grown ups?? The shelter will surely be happy to hear from one of their protegees, and know he has it excellent now in his forever home.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will do an additional reply later tonite, but right now will address the "tabby issue".

Basically ALL cats are some form of tabby; either classic, mackerel, spotted, or ticked. In genetics the black color tends to cover up tabby markings the best, but in the right lights you can still see them.

For example blue cats like Russian Blues will tend to show some tabby stripes on the tail when young, but when adult they fade out more. Red (orange) cats will almost always show some kind of tabby markings even if they are not really classified as a true "tabby". The red color is very hard to mask the markings.

Our HHP was born blue and white but had tabby stripes on the body. She is black and white today but you can still see the markings in strong sunlight.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black domestic shorthair, no specific breed.

I call the tabby markings "ghost markings".

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After looking at the pics (WOW) - he looks almost like a smoke type of Bengal. The Bengal stripes are usually pretty dramatic and it definately shows. I'm willing to bet he's got a Bengal background!

I would have him neutered and get that boy into the shows in the household pet classes - I'm sure he'd bring home a lot of ribbons! Very nice boy.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It dawned on my while I was laying sleepless.
One possible proposal is perhaps Burma. The mandatory dark mask not seen as he is very dark brown, almost black, especielly in the face.

No Burma association allows spotted, though. But this is not necessary the contrindicium: they perhaps got abandoned just because they were spotted - or wrong stud mated the mom. Thus worthless for the "breeder". (a real breeder would keep on a happy face, brought them lovingly up and sold as pet cats)

Far fetched of course.

One example on a dark brown burma, photo found in the wikipedia-article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:pi...y_2008_003.jpg

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stefan - we call that Burmese - not Burma (its not as extreme in the face as our CFA Burmese, but that's what it is).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Stefan - we call that Burmese - not Burma (its not as extreme in the face as our CFA Burmese, but that's what it is).
Right, Burma is svenglish, in english it should be Burmese.

Tx for helping out.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

After looking at the pics (WOW) - he looks almost like a smoke type of Bengal. The Bengal stripes are usually pretty dramatic and it definately shows. I'm willing to bet he's got a Bengal background!

I would have him neutered and get that boy into the shows in the household pet classes - I'm sure he'd bring home a lot of ribbons! Very nice boy.
Bengals don't have stripes! Toygers have stripes.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry Nial - you are right. But the markings are pretty dominate looking. Would the pattern take on the dominate markings like in a Bengal IF a parent was a mackerel tabby that had dark stripes. Isn't mackeral tabby dominate over the classic and spotted patterns?

The likelihood of a Toyger being in the background is less then if the cat might have a Bengal backgroud - would you agree to that?

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I can't see any Bengal in him (or Egyptian Mau)..and to me he looks like regular black, not smoke?

As others already mentioned, almost all domestics and black kittens tend to have ghost markings which you can see if the black color is a bit 'faded'. With purebreds they usually try to get rid of the markings, so I would rather say that the less a solid black cat has ghost patterns the more likely it could have some breed in the background.

Anyway, he is very handsome!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But he looks pretty old now - not a younger one and still maintaining the stripes. You could be right - by the time he's full grown he could be more solid looking.

I didn't say he was a smoke - just kinda smoke looking. Now if anyone can ever explain my Ling and her 4 color changes from birth to now....then I will give them some homemade cookies. I've had two breeder friends that are great with genetics try to figure it out and no one has any real explanation!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I didn't say he was a smoke - just kinda smoke looking.
Yeah, I meant the OPs Egyptian Mau-refer as they only come in silvers and 'bronze' (spotted and smoke).

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The likelihood of a Toyger being in the background is less then if the cat might have a Bengal backgroud - would you agree to that?
Yes certainly, as there are very few Toygers in the hands of non-breeders so far.

Bengal mixes are very uncommon, but there are definitely some out there. However, as we all know most of the claimed "bengal-mixes" are nothing more than regular spotted or broken pattern mackerel tabby cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jescow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, I've know a lot of black cats in my life but I never knew that they could have tabby markings, I guess you learn something new everyday. When Casey was younger I figured his markings would fade out as he got older but if anything they're a bit more noticeable now then they were back then. Like I said I know nothing about cat breeds, all mine have come from shelters or off the street, but Casey has more of a panthery look, not to mention the stripes/spots, to him that none of my other cats have that's why I thought he might be some sort of mix. If he's a DSH with tabby markings or if he's a mix of some sorts, it's really not going to change anything. He will always be the kitten who kept on climbing up my shirt at the shelter and wanted nothing but love, he will always be my little Chansi.

Don't worry he will be neutered, he's already had two appointments to get it done but both had to be canceled at the last minute because he's had some health issues but trust me it will get done.

I never knew there was a household pet class in cat shows, I know that there is a local cat show each year where I live so maybe I'll go this year and check it out. Although I'm not sure if Casey has the right temperament for a show cat, he will let me hold him but he's a bit squirmy whenever anyone else tries to.

Thank you all for your kind words about my boy, I think he's pretty handsome too but then again I might be a bit biased.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is pretty.
Here are some links to TICA,CFA and ACFA.
http://ticamembers.org/calendar/

http://www.cfa.org/exhibitors/show-schedule.html

http://www.acfacat.com/show_schedule.htm

I can give you advice on TICA and CFA but I do not know to much about ACFA.
Sometimes the judges will tell you what they think the breed of the cat is.
My friend did something terrible before we became friends and got caught.
She brought a Bengal mix with her Toyger to a CFA shows.
She denied the cat was part Bengal and the judges caught it.
She also brought a Toyger as exhibition and git in trouble.
I will see her in a few weeks at the next TICA show.
I would try your`cat in a show and see how he reacts.
You never know until you try.