Wobbly on back legs

Charlie-pud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My friend woke me up in the night concerned the cat is wobbly on his back legs. She said he was on her bed at the time and seemed unsteady when walking on it.
We had him jump on my bed and wander the hall for a bit, one of his back legs seemed to move weird but that was maybe once or twice.
He did flop down a few times (he usually flops when he's done playing or in general)

But he seems to be moving normal again. This happened 2 years ago too, vet put it down as he ate something weird since by the time they saw him, he'd stopped doing it.

Im just looking for advice before I phone the vets. I've had to call them twice in the past month and they never asked me to take him in (mostly due to it being emergency only because of what's happening).

He is on heart medication (normal medication) and about a week ago prescribed some anti inflammatory for a sore tooth (again didn't see him).

A few hours before this happened I did give him a worming tablet, could this cause him to be unbalanced or is it worth phoning the vets?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A worming tablet could definitely have caused his unsteadiness. They are notorious for side effects, mostly vomiting and diarrhea though. I would switch brands or reduce the dose next time, definitely write it down or call the vet and have them note it on his chart. He could have adverse reactions to other meds, even anesthetic. Always make sure any medications are safe for cats, too. Ones used for dogs can be deadly.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since he seems to be fine again, just watch him for a bit. If there are ANY changes in eating/drinking/playing/litter habits, call the vet and insist on him being seen. How old is your boy? Is there a chance that this could be arthritis creeping up?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charlie-pud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is my understanding that anti-inflammatories can also cause lethargy in cats, which could perhaps attribute to his unsteadiness? Today he has been able to get in and out of his cat tree and is climbing the furniture without any difficulty. I don't use medication from pet stores (having experienced reactions from certain brands in the past), it is instead provided by the vet directly, as it suits him better and the exact dosage is given based on his regular weigh-ins.

Thank you for the responses, I appreciate any additional information and support immensely. Especially in these uncertain times when getting to a vet isn't possible except for emergencies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, lethargy can definitely make them wobbly! It may well be that. Keep us posted. We tend to fret when someone disappears!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charlie-pud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, lethargy can definitely make them wobbly! It may well be that. Keep us posted. We tend to fret when someone disappears!
Checking in, to let you know that Charlie is doing quite well. Playful, no more wobbling and he's still taking his medication.