Wobbly Cat Tree...

Ariel2611

Proud Mommy to Ariel and Snowy :-)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I recently purchased a cat/kitten activity tree.
It has been built and is ready for my new kitten's arrival but it's VERY wobbly :-(
I can't return it and don't really want to...

I have had cat tree's in the past and they were also wobbly! I don't really know what to do?
The base is small and i know that's the main issue here but everything from the base upwards is also wobbly...
What do i do to balance it out and prevent it from being wobbly and/or falling over?
Do i place books, peace of wood underneath or balance it against a wall... what can i do?

Any help appreciated
Thank-you :-)

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you post a picture of it so we can see what it looks like?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
20171102_161228.png

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm I’m thinking it may be because of uneven weight on either side of the tree. Have you tried putting something under half of it to see if it will balance out? You could also maybe hook it to the wall if you’re worried about it toppling over.

The other thing too is that your home may be built on a slope? I know that part of my house is on a slope and any time I put a shelf up in a certain corner it looks like it’s falling over.

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, thank you for your reply... much appreciated.
I did think about that but wanted to confirm. I will do that and let you know if it helps

Thank you again !

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of activities for your new kitten on that tree. If all else fails try putting something heavy on the base to weight it to the floor. Mine is a little wobbly too, I think it may be the height but I have put it against the wall on a corner and that seems to work.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I've had trees of a similar make. There are a couple of tricks to try. First of all, find something safe to weight the base a bit - that will help with stability. Make sure all the posts are screwed in as firmly as possible too (so that you n'd turn them anymore). Individual posts tend to need re-tightening periodically too, and the same goes for any platforms/beds supported by a single pole - especially the top one.

I've learnt over the years that the narrower the individual posts are, the more rickety and unstable the structure will be. Especially with big cat trees (5ft+), I look for nice thick posts, as those will stand up to being jumped on by enthusiastic cats much better...I do have two big, very active boys at the moment though (as well as a lazier, smaller girl), and they really give their cat trees a beating:devilcat:

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all!
I will try the different tips and tricks you suggested...
Thanks again

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe attach the tree to the wall studs with furniture or tv safety straps? These are meant to keep kids from being injured from an unexpected falling tv (flat screens are horrible) or flimsy furniture. It might not look pretty but at least you know the tree won't topple over as the cats race up and down the tree and jump off.

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi again,

I thank everyone who replied to this post and would like to just say that i feel like you have solved the issue.
I will take in all your advice and support.

There is no need to reply now as my query has been solved.

Thanks again to everyone!

Last edited by a moderator: