WITS END with this cat!

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay so I have coddled, catered, and accomdated far too long with Bandit.

This is WEEK THREE of NON STOP incessant crying all day and all night. He just had a clean bill of health, nothing is wrong. He always has food, water, and LOTS of attention. He won't cry as long as we are petting or loving him, but stop and all hell breaks lost. I literally am at my wits end, we haven't had more than a few hours of sleep the past couple of weeks.

Can someone please help us??

THanks,

A very tired and frustrated meowmy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's bored.

would you consider getting him a buddy?
He has a buddy. We have two cats - Smokie & Bandit--- both love each other and play all the time. A third cat isn't an option financially or legally for us.

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL @ Corporal cuddling.. It might work--- Basically like burnout??? We used that in Daycare... such as making a kid spit over and over in the trashcan iif he spits on the teacher or another kid...

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's just started happening maybe you should take him for a second opinion even though he was given a clean bill of health.

What did the vet say it could be?
Vet thinks he is acting out because Smokie is being friendlier and getting more attention now that he isnt hurting as bad..

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
corporal cuddling?
[if IE]><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="390" /><![endif]

that's all I've got.
OMG :flail: I know this is not suppose to be a funny thread but I just had to comment on this video. Absolutely, hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing. :clap::clap::clap:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also think I might get a second opinion of another vet to rule out a medical condition. It sounds to me that Bandit is very stressed out and worried about something. Can you come up with anything that happened just before this meowing and insecure behavior started? Something that frightened Bandit? Maybe something happened when you were not home that you do not know about. You mention in that thread in the CL about your neighbor being a problem. :dk: Maybe he did something on the other side of the walls that really scared Bandit :dk: Just trying to help you figure this out. Really, it sounds more than just a jealousy issue with Smokie. I think Bandit has been upset by something and it is lingering in his mind and worrying him. :vibes:

There are medications that you can talk with the vet about to help calm Bandit and help him through this worrisome period. OR, if you believe in this, you could contact an animal communicator. I hope you can get to the source of the stress for all of your sakes. :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have Feliway going in your home?  That might help.  Is he neutered?  Are there any strays roaming around outside?

asmodeipress

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so I have coddled, catered, and accomdated far too long with Bandit.

This is WEEK THREE of NON STOP incessant crying all day and all night. He just had a clean bill of health, nothing is wrong. He always has food, water, and LOTS of attention. He won't cry as long as we are petting or loving him, but stop and all hell breaks lost. I literally am at my wits end, we haven't had more than a few hours of sleep the past couple of weeks.

Can someone please help us??

THanks,

A very tired and frustrated meowmy.
Hold old is this kitty?

And some breeds are extremely talkative.  I have a little girl who will -not- stop meowing even while I pick her up and coddle her to death.

Also, indoor kitty or outdoor?  Or both? 

Catnip also helps too, very great distractor for me.  She gets too busy rooting around in the catnip.

Another trick?  By a zhuzhu pet from the toystore and let kitty bap it around the house.

Lazer pointers too.

Immense cuddling really helps but they just go back to meowing when you're done.  Give it time, some kitties need time, it took Skittles 5 weeks to cool her jets when we brought her home.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you say he just got a clean bill of health, when is "just?"

I know money is a problem. But it sounds to me like there's either a problem with health, or with boredom. Spooky talks a lot when she's got medical issues. Our Flowerbelle is deaf. When she wants attention, she pushes things off of stuff.

Are you sure it's cuddles he wants, not play? He may accept cuddles because he wants attention, but play will use up some of that energy he seems to have.

I don't understand why he's crying at night - is he not allowed to sleep with you?

If the problem is that he's not on your schedule, try using Linda (Natalie-ca's) trick. Keep him up from morning until night. Don't let him sleep at all during the day. Do this for an entire weekend (or two/three days in a row), and that should put him back on schedule.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it's cuddles he wants, not play? He may accept cuddles because he wants attention, but play will use up some of that energy he seems to have.

I thought the same, meowing is often boredom. Also does he have a routine? Especially at night time. I have a high energy breed and find a long (30 mins or so) play session, followed by supper and bed means everyone sleeps through the night, even young litters of kittens.

When he was given a clean bill of health were specific tests done or just a routine exam?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also does he have a routine? Especially at night time. I have a high energy breed and find a long (30 mins or so) play session, followed by supper and bed means everyone sleeps through the night, even young litters of kittens.
An excellent suggestion. Cats LOVE routine. Establishing specific times for play (morning and night at a minimum), grooming (brushing him/them), feeding him/them (even if you're feeding dry, perhaps consider timed meals rather than leaving dry food down if that's what you do), and cuddles may go a long way to helping solve the problem, if he is not ill (which I am not convinced is the case).

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the suggestions. It has been better the last couple of days, simply because we have been letting him out to play several hours a day. He loves being outside.

He has always been allowed to sleep with us, he just chooses not to.

The frightened kitty seems like a plausible explanation. But so far the past 2 days, as long as he has gotten outside play he has been fine. Going to get some feliway

milk maid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you have hit the nail the head, if he is better when he is outside playing then boredom seems to be his problem.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope it's a safe outside environment, a harness/leash or enclosure and not just free roaming