Withdrawn kitten

jdcrews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently adopted 2 kittens. One is a 4month male & the other is a 6 months female. Both have been fixed. They have been getting along great. They play together, eat together, sleep together. My husband & I came home the other night & noticed Lexie(female) was not her usual self. She didn't want to play or eat. Then we noticed she was favoring her left leg. I'm guessing that while we were gone, they were playing & she hurt her leg. There isn't any swelling or bite marks. But when Kobe(male) approaches her she will become lifeless. She has hissed at him a couple of times. He doesn't understand why she won't play anymore. She is eating & using the litter pan. Then she goes back to sleep. Will she eventually get back to her active self? It hurts me to see her this way.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm guessing she's in pain and that is making her withdrawn and hissy... it's just self-protection.

Are you able to take her to the vet to have her leg checked?

ettina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I second the recommendation for a vet visit - it could be a serious injury, and even if it's just a 'leave it heal' sort of thing, the vet can probably give you some painkillers to administer so she isn't in so much discomfort. (One of my cats had a sprained paw once, and the vet gave him an anti-inflammatory prescription that helped him a lot while it was healing.)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She probably hurt it roughhousing.  I agree with a call to the vet and possibly a visit if she's not better tomorrow.  For tonight, keep her calm and quiet and be sure she eats and goes potty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdcrews

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. We had her at the vet yesterday for her rabies shot. We told him what had happened. He checked her leg & said to give it a few days. If we don't see any change call him. She has eaten & drank more today. She's also using her litter box. It's still difficult for to jump up or down. Maybe I'm just impatient & want results too quickly. If she's not better in a couple of days we will definitely be making a trip to the vet.