Winn is asking for affection

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Several months ago, I posted about my weird little antisocial kitty, Winn. I got her just about a year ago from a family. The minute she met my dogs, she flipped. She was like a feral cat. I could pick her up at any time for some odd reason, but she didn't like it and never wanted any affection. I gave her a safe zone, dog free. After a little while she got over her fear of them, then got aggressive with them and me. Random attacks, that sorta thing.

Then I started making her allow me to pet her before I fed her. It didn't take too long before she started enjoying it, and then one day, out of the blue, I got a head butt :-). About that time, the aggression stopped. Now, she's extremely friendly at mealtimes. And just now, as I'm laying in bed computing, she came up to me, seeking affection.

It only took a year. Now maybe some day I'll hear her purr.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by badkelpie

Several months ago, I posted about my weird little antisocial kitty, Winn. I got her just about a year ago from a family. The minute she met my dogs, she flipped. She was like a feral cat. I could pick her up at any time for some odd reason, but she didn't like it and never wanted any affection. I gave her a safe zone, dog free. After a little while she got over her fear of them, then got aggressive with them and me. Random attacks, that sorta thing.

Then I started making her allow me to pet her before I fed her. It didn't take too long before she started enjoying it, and then one day, out of the blue, I got a head butt :-). About that time, the aggression stopped. Now, she's extremely friendly at mealtimes. And just now, as I'm laying in bed computing, she came up to me, seeking affection.

It only took a year. Now maybe some day I'll hear her purr.
That is a GREAT story
. Thank you very much for sharing it with all of us

Your story illustrates very well my view of cat care. By that I mean a cat has to do something YOU desire to get its meal/food. In this case that is being touched for food.

You found out like I have over the years, food is a VERY powerful motivator. You the human need to use that to your advantage

Lastly your story, in my humble opinion shows how important changing behavior can be, for both human and animal. Or just not simply excepting the animals behavior at face value and how change can benefit both human and animal

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What wonderful progress, Dawn!! Bless you for loving her despite her antisocial behavior and for being patient with her until she felt comfortable seeking affection.