Window Treatments?

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need to do something with my living room windows, but I'm kind of torn what to do so would love some suggestions! I have one window that is currently driving the change (picture below). It's right next to Friday's cat tree, and I put a shelf up there so he can sit and look outside. The problem is that I redid my fireplace so now my TV is mounted on a different wall, and if I have my blinds constantly raised like I used to you can see the TV from the sidewalk. Not really a huge deal, but I don't love people being able to see what I'm watching as it just weirds me out, and I'd kind of like to have more privacy anyway.

I currently have cordless blinds, but if I lower them at night Friday will still climb up and push his way through, so several of them are starting to snap off and just look bad. I don't really want wooden blinds, as I don't think they would really be a solution and I don't want anything with cords for safety reasons.

I have thought about paper shades, as he could push behind them if he wanted, but am unsure if they'd hold up. I also considered drapes - because of where the shelf is I'd have to like run them between the shelf and the window, but I could kind of pull them to the side and billow them out a bit so that he could still lie there and look out, but it might block the view from outside in a little bit.

Static cling won't work because there aren't any that would let him see out but not let people see in. They make a two way mirror-like version, but it's no good at night, which is when I really need it.

Thoughts? Here's the window in question:
IMG_9521.jpg

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
What about those quaint 1940’s-50’s “criss cross” gauzy white curtains? Would let in light, easy to wash, frame that AWEsome stained glass and amazing radio (does it work?). Others questions to field: are you trying to keep in heat w/ these curtains or more let in some light? Trying to have privacy? (For that I’d recommend a pull down shade). Is the window a good one and is it well sealed?

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about those quaint 1940’s-50’s “criss cross” gauzy white curtains? Would let in light, easy to wash, frame that AWEsome stained glass and amazing radio (does it work?). Others questions to field: are you trying to keep in heat w/ these curtains or more let in some light? Trying to have privacy? (For that I’d recommend a pull down shade). Is the window a good one and is it well sealed?
I am not opposed to letting in light, but more so letting the cat see out while keeping people from seeing in.

Unfortunately the stained glass isn't real, it's a static cling that I put up to keep people from looking in (and to keep my dog from seeing the mailman come up the steps to the box). :lol: It works well for that, but unfortunately the cat couldn't see through it and he really likes to look out front and judge people, lol. The windows themselves aren't the greatest as they are the originals and it's a 1920s house, so thermal curtains wouldn't be the worst thing.

The radio is actually new - a Victrola I got for Christmas. It's awesome, plays radio, CDs, records, tapes, bluetooth, and Aux input.

How about putting a folding screen either on (if there's room you could do a short one) or behind the table?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B12C9XTR/?tag=thecatsite

There's also room dividers, although they're not quite as pretty (but harder to knock over)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NBPH4ZX/?tag=thecatsite

^those are just the first things that came up.

Otherwise, go with long drapes that you can pull back over the table but he still can get behind and look out. That's what I would do.
A folding screen would be cool, our vintage store has them sometimes so I could see if any pop up.

yekrats

What a Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful World
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need to do something with my living room windows, but I'm kind of torn what to do so would love some suggestions! I have one window that is currently driving the change (picture below). It's right next to Friday's cat tree, and I put a shelf up there so he can sit and look outside. The problem is that I redid my fireplace so now my TV is mounted on a different wall, and if I have my blinds constantly raised like I used to you can see the TV from the sidewalk. Not really a huge deal, but I don't love people being able to see what I'm watching as it just weirds me out, and I'd kind of like to have more privacy anyway.

I currently have cordless blinds, but if I lower them at night Friday will still climb up and push his way through, so several of them are starting to snap off and just look bad. I don't really want wooden blinds, as I don't think they would really be a solution and I don't want anything with cords for safety reasons.

I have thought about paper shades, as he could push behind them if he wanted, but am unsure if they'd hold up. I also considered drapes - because of where the shelf is I'd have to like run them between the shelf and the window, but I could kind of pull them to the side and billow them out a bit so that he could still lie there and look out, but it might block the view from outside in a little bit.

Static cling won't work because there aren't any that would let him see out but not let people see in. They make a two way mirror-like version, but it's no good at night, which is when I really need it.

Thoughts? Here's the window in question:
View attachment 443291
We like to keep our curtains closed for privacy too so we leave them open just enough for our cats to poke their head out and see outside. It works well and the cats are happy so I would go with curtains.